Notices

Greetings - HELP

Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings - HELP

Hi, I'm lucky7u and I just read "Drinking, a Love Story." It actually helped me stop drinking.

I'm a 51 year old female that has been drinking since I was a teenager. Not heavy, but sometimes, and the gradual consumption of alcohol over the years has made me dependent on it psychologically, not physically. Hold a job, pay my taxes, love my house, my husband, my home and my pets.

After reading this book, I realized I was an alcoholic and stopped last Sunday. Week went by really well and today is Sunday, my husband is gone and I just got done cleaning the house and really wanted a drink. My normal drink is wine and because I dumped the last bottle in the sink last week, I have none so I'm into my husband's liquor cabinet and am drinking rum and coke (my husband doesn't drink). I tried to reason with myself to not go there...just go meet my husband, which was the original plan, but for some reason, I needed alone time with the bottle. That is really really sad. Someone help me please!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi lucky

yea i saw the light also one day. and i think that is difficult to do at times. but good think you did. welcome, nice to meet you
Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lucky. My story sounds very similar to yours!! Just try again. I am on day 30 of sobriety. It's a struggle some days but well worth it. Lots of support here. Keep reading and posting!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Lucky7u welcome to the board! You know that you want this and you've come place for support. All of us here understand why you're drinking that run and coke. Sobriety is not easy in the beginning. There's a lot of great info and stories that you'll identify with. It's a great place to come especially when your thoughts are heading towards that drink. You'll find a lot of help here.

Read, read, read, and post, post, post!

Are you sure you really want to keep drinking that drink right now? How about dumping it and do some reading and posting instead?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ugh typing on iPhone please excuse my last post. At least it's readable
Old 12-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there-

It sounds like you're not quite ready yet to stop.

Reading that book is a good first step. I loved it and learned a lot about myself also.

Are you willing to do anything to stop drinking? If you are, there is a lot of support out there for you. Have you thought about meetings? Met other sober people?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome. I read that book too, several years after I got sober and wow.. I could totally relate too. I can also relate to the choice you just made regarding the rum and coke.

I'm glad you found us!!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucky7u View Post
Hi, I'm lucky7u and I just read "Drinking, a Love Story." It actually helped me stop drinking.

I'm a 51 year old female that has been drinking since I was a teenager. Not heavy, but sometimes, and the gradual consumption of alcohol over the years has made me dependent on it psychologically, not physically. Hold a job, pay my taxes, love my house, my husband, my home and my pets.

After reading this book, I realized I was an alcoholic and stopped last Sunday. Week went by really well and today is Sunday, my husband is gone and I just got done cleaning the house and really wanted a drink. My normal drink is wine and because I dumped the last bottle in the sink last week, I have none so I'm into my husband's liquor cabinet and am drinking rum and coke (my husband doesn't drink). I tried to reason with myself to not go there...just go meet my husband, which was the original plan, but for some reason, I needed alone time with the bottle. That is really really sad. Someone help me please!
I can't believe it, that was the book that ultimately led to my sobriety. I found that book on day 2 have must have read it cover to cover 20 times. I too am 51, have held the same job for 18 years, pay my taxes, and mortgage, never late on bills, and married for 27 years. I am also an alcoholic who has been sober for 5+ years. You can do this too!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Caroline Knapp's book is so inspiriting and so honest. Reading her book was the first time I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could do this.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If at first you don't succeed, try again:-)
-Ted
Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. I hope we can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Now you need to build a toolset to not take that first drink.

SR is a great place for support. Some require additional support, nothing to shamed about. A war is a war and you can pull as much resources as your need.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lucky7u

Many of us have found ourselves in that position where we needed to drink...but the support here really helps.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know you can too

I'm glad you found us,
D
Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi. I would just think of it as a slip and try again. We've all done it, don't worry yourself and start over x
Old 12-22-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome lucky! SR helped me find the strength to stay quit. I was older when I decided to stop too. After decades of falling back on it - it's hard to let go - but you can definitely do it. Glad you are here.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome lucky7u, there is lots of support and advice here to help you stop drinking. Glad you have joined us.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses. I so desperately need a place to just talk. I have been laid off since October, which was nice because of the holidays and such, but today is -8 below outside and a storm is coming so I'm stuck in this house AGAIN with maybe a short trip outside with my dog for a walk. I am starting to get cabin fever!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just keep warm and stocked up with goodies, Have you got any good dvds to watch?