Notices

Matthew Perry on alcoholism and shame

Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Matthew Perry on alcoholism and shame

Matthew Perry on drug courts | 16.12.2013 - YouTube

Really amazing speech by Mathew Perry, really powerful, hope it can help someone who is struggling today xxx
Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is an awesome video. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Excellent video, thank you!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, I have to add, Matthew Perry is one of the few celebrity alcoholics who has actually used his fame to educate people about addiction. With all the recovering Hollywood celebrities, it seems very few have actually used their platform to educate the public. So many people still think alcoholism and drug abuse are a character defect.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was fantastic
Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
You know, I have to add, Matthew Perry is one of the few celebrity alcoholics who has actually used his fame to educate people about addiction. With all the recovering Hollywood celebrities, it seems very few have actually used their platform to educate the public. So many people still think alcoholism and drug abuse are a character defect.
No one wants to admit that they have or might have a problem. Did you hear him when he asked everyone in the room that drinks and does drugs to raise their hands (quite a few did) and then asked anyone who thinks they do either too much to do the same? Only one person. He thanked him for being honest. As long as the stigma is attached we will never really be able to solve this problem. It's disheartening.

What a great step in the right direction this video is though!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, what he and the others are doing is SO important. I and so many others need to hear this compassion and talk of disease and hope. I love that he really believes that change is possible and his and the others compassion towards the addicts.
The mentioning of the amazement to see the light switch on again in a recovered addicts eyes made me cry.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like this speech better than all of his acting work combined. And I love his acting.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I only watched the speech, it was quite good.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Thank you! I enjoyed that.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great speech. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These are just AA theories which aren't based in real science or research. He is different then all the normal people. He gets an allergy after one drink? hmm. He has claimed all this stuff to be scientific proof in other interviews. just nothing interesting here to me..or helpfull
Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I did like the bit about not feeling ashamed and moving on.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
These are just AA theories which aren't based in real science or research. He is different then all the normal people. He gets an allergy after one drink? hmm. He has claimed all this stuff to be scientific proof in other interviews. just nothing interesting here to me..or helpfull
I'm curious if you agree with the concept of decriminalizing drug/alcohol offenders and directing them to rehab instead of jail?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I do think you can empower yourself, unlike some of the AA ideas, but he actually said that himself. But I think at the beginning you are confused and actually quite ill so shouldn't be ashamed. I presume Matthew is AA? I don't follow any program strictly, just a bit form here and a bit from there and some of my own interpretations and ideas. And I can't drink like normal people or I would be having a couple of vodkas after dinner. As I said, I don't agree with much of the AA stuff, but I did like what he had to say.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm curious if you agree with the concept of decriminalizing drug/alcohol offenders and directing them to rehab instead of jail?

I don't think drugs offenses should be so extreme or should be there at all. I also don't know if forcing people to rehab will have a positive result on the numbers of addicts currently using. I think people should have the access to

help like rehab If they are ready and willing. The problem I see is most rehabs are based on the twelve step. there is hardly any alternative.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great how he says . . . if your worried about your drinking or even taking a test to see if you should be worried . . . YOUR IN!!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Science, theory, menehuenes underneath the stairs, doesn't matter to me what it is. I know that I mentally beat the hell out of myself for years because I couldn't have one or two drinks and stop like normal people and I almost lost my partner because of it. For me, when I wanted to quit, hearing something similar helped immensely because I was experiencing it.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Thanks for sharing this laana. I was really impressed with how well Matthew explained the 2-part disease of the obsession of the mind + the phenomena of craving. Definitly a worth while watch, and props to M. Perry for finding a much better life philosophy.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Watched it all from start to finish. Really insightful. thanks for sharing.