Big Duh moment in AlAnon tonight

Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big Duh moment in AlAnon tonight

At my tenth AlAnon meeting tonight and I realized something.
The "core" of the group, the people who have been attending for years purposely share things that are positive or that help new people. Its not that they don't have problems its more that they share the problems quietly in small groups or one to one after the meeting.
I was first after the chairperson to share tonight and I found myself talking about how good I felt after my first meeting and how I could only focus on the slogans at first because there was a new mother and daughter joined us tonight and that's what I wanted them to hear. In my head I had thought I was going to talk about how I was dealing with my As recent attempts at sobriety then that completely different stuff came out.
It was a lightbulb moment when I realized that its not magic when you always come away feeling like you have learned something or been given good advice. It's actually people working their program and truly "giving" to their AlAnon family.
I feel blessed tonight to be a part of this group.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree Jessica.

I also found though that it WAS a safe spot to be able to share the hard stuff. That I could do it without being judged, or people cound understand.

Both were important to me. The group of people who I had met who had worked their program had already done that work. They had learned that the process of sharing helped everyone including themselves.

For me that is what kept me coming back.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's funny..i notice at al anon meetings there is much more positive talk...and we are so dang sure to want to make other people happy and welcome that we don't really complain much there...
is that just my meetings?
Good for you jessicajoe!