Notices

New and Searching

Old 12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Searching

Hello... I am 24hours sober and counting. I have played with staying sober before, tried all the tricks and for awhile some worked but in the end all failed. I realize now that I am in fact an alcoholic and the only way to ensure I never blackout again is to never drink again. I know it won't be easy but I'm finally ready.

I'm asking for any advice from others who have traveled this road before me. How to handle the holiday parties, how to replace the glass of wine while cooking without also giving up cooking, and perhaps the most difficult how to tell those around me I have decided to no longer drink?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Aurora

this is a great link of tips for social and family occasions:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

D
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Aurora!

I was like that too - made a lame attempt at getting sober but my heart wasn't in it. So I kept going until I almost destroyed myself. This won't be you! Never drinking again is the only way for us. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to admit it. Congratulations on your decision.

I quit around the holidays too - and I had to change some of my plans & traditions so I wouldn't be tempted. We need to be patient with ourselves early on. As for what to tell people - I hope others will have suggestions. For me - I was so far gone that everyone knew I had a problem - no one asked me why I wasn't drinking (they knew).
Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ahh - Dee to the rescue.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much... my emotions are a mess and the time you took to answer me actually made me cry... I am going to read this right away.

Thank you for the vote of confidence
Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. We are here to support you.

Personally, I didn't tell people around me that I was not drinking anymore. I felt far too vulnerable to any comments, positive or negative, that might have come my way. I had to stay away from alcohol and people who were drinking for many months in order to be able to recover. For me, I couldn't manage it, otherwise. I did lose interest in cooking and it's never returned to the level it once was and I'm okay with that.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My best advice would be to make sobriety your first priority. When you want to be sober more than you want to drink then you'll be able to stay sober.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good for you coming here at this difficult time of year. I just eat lots of yummy food and watch funny things on the telly, it's great once you've done it a couple of times. xx
Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Aurora - New to this myself after several failed attempts. I'm at 23 days. I can say you've made the big step and decision already. I have not gone thru too many holidays yet. Thanksgiving was very difficult for me, it was day 2 and I was not in the mood to be terribly social and there were drinks around. I didn't make a big thing about it but didn't drink and when asked 'Bill...NO DRINK?' (because I always have a drink) my answer was 'no, it's not working for me any more and I think I'm going to try the other side and not drink' and to my surprise had nothing but support from those there. It was family and not 'drinking buddies' which is more difficult. Congrats on your decision, post here, I've found the folks here really awesome and so helpful!