Notices

So tired of hearing wine is good for you

Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation So tired of hearing wine is good for you

Hi Everyone,

It seems we (the public) are constantly bombarded with how great red wine is for you, how it keeps you young and fights inflammation! It is constantly being touted as a "super food", and recently, new articles about how red wine helps to combat depression.

Unfortunately, red wine is and always has been my drink of choice. It is the only alcohol I drink and when I drink it, I drink A LOT of it. I find the articles are a huge trigger to drink because I feel justified in drinking it. I know on a rational level that excessive alcohol consumption of any kind is technically bad for you, but the supposed "benefits" of red wine in particular seem to make me see past the night sweats, the horrible hangovers, the mistakes, the crippling depression and anxiety.

Can anyone relate?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes - try a cranberry and seltzer or just about any freshly juiced drink.

Chia seeds are a superfood too - I make a shake in the morning - mixed berries, almond milk, chia seeds, ice, and honey.

Another pet peeve for me is that cigarettes are more addictive than heroin…never heard that from an ex heroin addict.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dreamer0 - welcome

There has been a swing lately back the other way:
Red wine benefits a myth

but yeah it's a pervasive idea.

the thing I think a lot of people miss is that a moderate intake of red wine may help some people...I'm not in that group because I never drank anything moderately. I'm an alcoholic

Abusing alcohol brings with it its own health problems. The healthy choice for anyone like me is to stop drinking entirely

D
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know that, for you (and me), that is not true. Stay focused.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

About half a glass of wine a day may have some benefits anything over is detrimental I have been reading, what's the point of that lol. Drinkers will cling to anything to keep themselves poisoned .
Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all . I suppose the 2-3 bottles of red wine I am drinking every night doesn't really fit into the "moderation" category lol...
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh red wine. I hate you. I don't know if I even like the taste but I have drank up to 3 bottles at a sitting. I am an alcoholic and I will not drink alcohol. If I want a health kick I will make a fruit smoothie!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Dreamer!

It might be helpful to the 'glass or two' crowd - but not those of us who can drink a couple bottles a day without blinking. (That would be me.) I don't dare touch the stuff ever again.

Glad to have you with us.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red wine was my choice as well and when the hangovers, bloating, flushed feeling, loose emotions, slight tremors started, I thought, 'hmmm',' red wine doesn't agree with me anymore, I think I need to switch to something else, I know I will switch to white wine'......what!

We can tell ourselves anything to satisfy our desire to continue to drink.

The advertisements and supposed health benefits don't help.... be ready with a quick slap to the side of the head of your AV.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am also a wine drinker although I prefer white... wine has its own hobbyists and I was one until I couldn't say no anymore... trying to stop drinking wine is going to be hardest for me as well so I feel your pain! I miss the feel of the balloon glass in my hand... has anyone found that having juice or a sparkling flavored water from a wine glass has helped relieve the tension at all?
Old 12-20-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too loved red wine. However, it didn't
like or love me. Maybe it was because of
the color red that I was drawn to. Infact,
I love just about everything in red and it's
amazing how many healthier things I can
enjoy today to take the place of red poison.

So can you.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You'll get the equivalent of all the antioxidant benefits from a glass of grape juice, pomagranite juice, a handful of blueberries that you would from the 5 oz glass of red wine. That beneficial vino is only good when "used as directed" which for most of us was never the case, so the study's are irrelevant.

Welcome
Old 12-20-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post

Another pet peeve for me is that cigarettes are more addictive than heroin…never heard that from an ex heroin addict.
I had one tell me that. He quit heroin, started smoking in recovery (that's what people DO after meetings right?) and can't quit.

I never smoked so I'm taking his word for it.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The ER doctor told me that drinking alcohol is like rubbing the inner linings of your stomach with concrete. And all of the studies that suggest light drinking (one glass of wine a day) is "good" for you assume you're not an alcoholic and they aren't even conclusive.

All the studies also clearly state the caveat that no amount of alcohol is good for you if you are an alcoholic.

Edit: Dee beat me to it
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I never really liked red wine at all but, of course, would have drunk it if nowt else was available
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes . . .i too was a wino . . .loved white mostly. The last time I drank though, i had way too much red and I got terribly ill!! Ugh!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamer0 View Post

It is constantly being touted as a "super food", and recently, new articles about how red wine helps to combat depression.

Can anyone relate?
yes I feel your pain
wine is good and healthy in so many ways (one glass a day)
I can't do that one glass a day
the wife drinks almost exactly one glass a day
I see the benefit for her
yes, other than unseen benefits there are seen benefits also

even in the bible (the Book that has never been proven wrong)
it states that " a little wine is good for the stomach"

it's just darn too bad that ones such as myself can not drink a little

some say grape juice can promote some of the same results ???

Question

Grape juice: Same heart benefits as wine?

Does grape juice offer the same heart benefits as red wine?

Answer

from Martha Grogan, M.D. ------------- Mayo Clinic

Possibly. Some research studies suggest that red and purple grape juices may provide some of the same heart benefits of red wine, including:
Reducing the risk of blood clots
Reducing low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol
Preventing damage to blood vessels in your heart
Helping maintain a healthy blood pressure

Grapes are rich in health-protecting antioxidants, including resveratrol and flavonoids. These antioxidants are found mainly in the skin, stem, leaf and seeds of grapes, rather than in their pulp. The amount of antioxidants in grapes depends on many factors, including the kind of grape, its geographic origin and how it's processed. Dark red and purple grapes tend to be higher in antioxidants than are white or green grapes. Likewise, the level of antioxidants such as resveratrol found in wine varies, with higher levels in red wine.

Besides grape juice, other grape products may offer health benefits, including dealcoholized wine, grape extracts and grape powder.

Keep in mind that it's also beneficial to eat whole grapes — not just grape juice. Some research suggests that whole grapes deliver the same amount of antioxidants that are in grape juice and wine but have the added benefit of providing dietary fiber
Old 12-20-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have never had dealcoholized wine... is it any good? Or just a door shifting back to the alcoholic version? It sounds like a great alternative to me as I truly love the flavor of a good glass of wine but worry if its truly alcohol free
Old 12-20-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

read no replies....but am sure I'm gonna repeat someone in here.

Red wine recommendations is just about the anti-oxidants. I have NO memory but can somewhat remember that grape juice gives same benefit as the wine thing.
Plus it's just a 4oz thing.. or something small. Hardly registers on my radar.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah I can totally relate. Too bad the benefits only apply if you drink one glass. Anything more and it's totally harmful. Especially 2-3 bottles in one sitting. Yuck!