can he really drink an entire case in a day??

Old 06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

can he really drink an entire case in a day??

Is that possible? I do not keep track of how much he drinks BUT....Thursday evening I went to the store...late, near bedtime. I called home to ask daughter if she needed anything special for lunches. Heard SO in the background whispering......."tell her you need beer". Then he said some other stupid stuff...just jokingly. they were laughing.

Anyway, I assumed he needed beer, so I bought a case as usual. When I got home he said...no I was just kidding. I have beer. So I put it in the frig...sure enought there was nearly a full case. This is Thursday evening...we went to bed soon after. Sunday morning there is only one case and it only has 4 beers in it. :shocked: Saturday I know he got pretty tanked. He waited until 1:30 to begin drinking...which is a real effort on his part. But by 7 he was ranting and raving about some injustice done to him by someone. Thankfully the ranting is rarely if ever aimed at me or my kids, but it is THE clue that he is not sober nonetheless.

Can one person drink this much quantity and still live???? He showed very little sign of being drunk. Finally by about 10 PM his eyes were very blood shot, but he was still looking pretty sober. It's weird!!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Back when I was counting beers (I was somewhat obsessed with it - LOL), one weekend my H drank 96 beers from Friday night until Sunday night. Even if you count Friday as half a day, that's 38 beers a day. He easily goes through a 30 pack in a day. He only weighs about 160 pounds. So yeah, it's possible. Of course, he's has years of practice.
L
Old 06-14-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

If he's been drinking for a long time, his body has built up a tolerance. I can't imagine surviving some of the stuff I have heard alcoholics talk about.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nightowl, IMO it is possible. My b/f A drinks almost a 12 pack every day, sometimes less, sometimes more. The only change I see in him is the mild swagger, the smell, and the red eyes. His attitude never changes though. He may talk a little more. Believe me, he is not a talker. He is a very private and quiet person. When I first met him, his mom told me she could ask him a question and have to wait 15 minutes for an answer. Talk about frustrating. Now I have a question. How do you feel about buying him beer? Since my A's brother picks him up for work and brings him home he stops for him to buy his beer. On weekends it's left up to me. I absolutely hate doing it. Why do I still do it? I'm working on that one. Is it wrong? Do you do it just to avoid the crap?
Old 06-14-2004, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

OH dear. I thought it was my imagination. Heaven's sake. I can't imagine what that amount of beer does to your body. I have never seen him drink that much. he probably only keeps around what he knows he can "handle". And my little goof of buying too much......he just can't stop once he starts. WOW. What a sickness.

He's 165 lbs. In great shape. Very muscular. small little pop belly but not much. But his face and his eyes look so much older than 44. Everyone told me had that "look". I didn't see it. I'm amazed he didn't have a total meltdown after that amount although he came close I think. He made an *ss out of himself on E-mail....complaining to our racetrack owner.

Yeah he's been at this a while. All through his 22-year military career. Do you know when you return from deployment....the beer trucks pull up at the airport and have taps on the side of the truck?? All the beer you can drink. Great homecoming. I bet all the spouses waiting to greet them are just thrilled. I just met SO....I wasn't there but he tells these stories.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Luv, I was given the advice to not get sucked into his alcoholism. So I don't keep track of what he drinks. If he asks me to pick up a case of beer I do it. Just like I did when I was married to my ex who is not an A but enjoyed an occasional beer. IF he were sick I would refuse. I mean....if he was diagnosed with liver damage and told to stop...I would not buy it for him. He would be doing that himself.

I don't hate buying it yet. But I am almost there....especially after this weekend. Taht was a real eye opener.

I DO hate it when he packs a cooler to go eat out. I have to drive of course as he drinks all the way and all the way home. A COOLER to drive 15 minutes down the road....totally amazing.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are used to it it's easy to drink a case a day.

Ngaire
Old 06-14-2004, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dax

I can't see buying the alcoholic his booze. Let him get it himself. To me that is enabling. But then I have been there, done that and wised up. dax
Old 06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No it is not hard to believe that a person could drink that much. My dad used to drink 40 some beers in a day when I was counting but now I do not count. I think their bodies get used to it too. Hang in there.
Shana, 18
Old 06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

When I use to drink my quota was a case of beer+a fifth of tequillia everyday for11 years
Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LoneFIREWalkingHorse

Yes---it is possible--LoneFIREWalkingHorse, Addict/Alcoholic in recovery (by the grace of my Higher Power and Alcoholics Anonymous as well as Narcotics Anonymous) and a case was always just a days supply and I am only 95 pounds. Beer was one of my drinks of choice when I was out there, and at one point that is all I did was drink and drug--eating took a back seat, the beer filled me up anyway.

Prayers and Blessings to you and your family....have faith, awakening is possible on both parts.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well here's my question ...

How the hell do they have any time to drink that much beer??? They must spend most of their time in the bathroom peeing it out! The few times I've consumed beer, it's dehydrated me so much I couldn't stand it! Whew! I guess these beer alchies take the can or bottle into the bathroom while they're using the toilet - while it's going in one end, it's going out the other!

And, yes, you'd be AMAZED at the amount of book an A can consume. My husband is a runner - skinny as a rail (maybe about 145 lbs.) - yet I've watched him down almost an entire litre bottle of Scotch, along with wine and beer in ONE DAY!!! And he can still stand up - not well, but he's still standing! And he gets up and doesn't seem to be hung over.

From what I understand, hardcore alchies eventually reach "critical mass" and their tolerance actually decreases to the point that they can get rip-roaring drunk on one drink. I think it has something to do with liver damage ....

I adamantly refuse to buy my husband's liquor. It's his addiction, so if he wants to fuel it, that's his right but I'm not going to be his supplier ....
Old 06-15-2004, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Of course, my A was drinking up to 3 pints a day of 100 Proof vodka. That saying, "anything is possible if you put your mind to it"......its not just about positive reinforcement.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess these beer alchies take the can or bottle into the bathroom while they're using the toilet
My ex-AH is a 'beer alchie' and he took his can of budweiser everywhere. He took it to the bathroom, and he'd pee for minutes straight. When he went sober for a few months I was amazed at how much less he pee'd.

I actually hated the fact that people would make a joke of how they had never actually seen my husband without a Bud can in his hand. But it was true.

And he could consume over 30 in a day. He didn't do that everyday, so he would definitely be drunk at that quantity. But most days he drank 6-12 and had that glassy and red eyed stare, the slightly too loud speech, and the 'I love everybody' attitude of smiles and hugs.

I used to love that he was always in a good mood. I told people it was one of the things I loved about him most. But I learned after a while to hate it, because it became just another reminder that he was drinking that day.

After a while I hated everything that reminded me he drank that day. As you can imagine, it gradually led to me hating everything about him because it all reminded me. I was no good at detaching and staying in the relationship, so for me I had to work on detaching and staying OUT of the relationship.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Magichappens
If he's been drinking for a long time, his body has built up a tolerance. I can't imagine surviving some of the stuff I have heard alcoholics talk about.
There was absolutely no limit for me.
A case of beer was insignificant.
I can't imagine either Magic.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
There was absolutely no limit for me.
A case of beer was insignificant.
I can't imagine either Magic.
Ditto!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Yep

A case in a day, easy. during my peak I could drink two cases in a day and pass out only to get up in about six hours and run out for more. I would drink two twenty packs of bud light bottles both Sat and Sunday. A typical weekend would end up with about six empty cases monday along with a 12 or two. A case of beer in a day, yes you can live through it but not for too long.
Best of luck,
Roy
Old 06-15-2004, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face Yep, It Can Happen!!

Originally Posted by Nightowl
Is that possible?

Can one person drink this much quantity and still live???? He showed very little sign of being drunk. Finally by about 10 PM his eyes were very blood shot, but he was still looking pretty sober. It's weird!!!!
Hiya Nightowl,
It is not only possible but USED to be done by my husband, along with that there was the "I am out of Jack Daniels". Now, when he drank that, look out cuz it's fighting time, not with me but with whoever might of pissed him off for that day. Thank God that is all over with now!

He would wake up first thing in the morning and pop open a beer and not stop till sometimes 1 or 2 in the morning. Yes, he went to work and did his job the next day and would come home and do it all over again. :06:

I got to where I hated seeing him with that lousy bottle in his hand, then he would get biligerant, obnoxious, start stupid fights about nothing and start ranting and raving about how I did this and that.....blah blah blah. If you look into my other posts you can read how far we have come today!

As far as liver damage, I am not a doctor so I cannot answer that one, but I am sure his is not in the best of shape, but with the grace of God his body will not start to heal. He has been sober now for a week, along with his meds and Phyc. he is doing just great. So am I for that matter, with the exception of the pinched nerve in my left shoulder that hurts like a SOB.

There were many times he was :Flush: doing what this little guy is doing. Anyway, I have to get to bed as my shoulder is on fire right now from typing so much. Oh, and keep coming back to this site there are so many cool people here that can help you through this without being judged. They all rock in my and my husbands opinion!

Keep coming back, hugs & prayers are with you,
Penelope
Old 06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My husband use to drink beer everyday all day, every night we'd have to change the sheets because we were totally wet from his sweating, he quit for about 15 years, about 5 yrs ago he started again, only now its voldka and malt liquor as a chaser, he drinks them all at once, 20 min later he's toast for hrs. Can any one relate to this particular style I know he's having blackouts as his recall is always a day or so behind.