Notices

Anxiety and hot flashes??

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and hot flashes??

So tonight I am experiencing some anxiety and hot flashes. Is that normal?? Its only been a few days since my last drink and i have gone this long without drinking before and it didnt happen But today it id. I already a very anxious person and would turn to wine whenever I started feeling really anxious and it would of corse help at the time.. So I thought.... Instead I would have the worst anxiety the next day which. I read a lot about this and they say that alcohol actually makes your anxiety worse not better. I'm so tired of having this anxiety and its a main reason why I want to quit drinking. So it's frustrating that I am having anxiety right now even without drinking. I guess this is part of the normal process???? Anyone else have this?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was certainly part of the normal withdrawal thing for me.
Naturally if you're concerned or you feel it's not getting better, it's often a good idea to see your doctor

D
Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will calm down love - the first 5-7 days are the worst but then you're home free
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had panic attacks the first few days. I had them before so I just got through them and they went away again.

I told myself it was because something was changing in my life, something big. So I assumed it would pass once the change began to take hold, and it did.

But that's me. Anxiety can be a real problem, so if it isn't letting up please talk to a professional about it. I know anxiety far too well, so don't let that panic you any more, just pay attention to it. Most of us feel it in the early days, but it can be a problem unrelated to the withdrawal.

I too used to drink to calm the nerves, but that didn't work out too well, and never will.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is what I've experienced before i stopped drinking. Horrible anxiety until I started drinking. The anxiety would go away. Until I needed the next drink to make the anxiety go away. And I would drink and the anxiety would go away when I drank again. And then the anxiety returned when i wasnt drunk. It is a vicious cycle and only got increasingly worse over time because the amount of alcohol I needed to control the anxiety got higher and higher. The anxiety got worse too. My anxiety got so horribly crippling that I could barely walk.

Once I committed to staying sober, started eating and sleeping regularly again, the anxiety substantially diminished. I have a benzo prescription that my doctor wrote for me when I told her that I had relapsed and wanted to quit again. After the first week I've barely touched the stuff. I've gone over a month now without drinking and again, I don't need the Valium. It does get better but I would certainly see your doctor. Alcohol in my experience makes any anxiety worse.

Hang in there. Read all you can on this site. Most of us have all been through this.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BTW I did have anxiety for the first week but it diminished over the course of the week. Also had hot flashes. Those got better too. Still have some night sweats but not every night but I am also going through menopause so that could be part of it.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, completely normal. The worst anxiety was about a week after I stopped and then it would come and go but no where near as bad as withdrawal that first week. Gotta just trudge through it, take good care of yourself, and know it will pass. The anxiety was what always made me pick up so it's really hard to get through that first week but you can do it.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. It's comforting to hear I'm not alone in this. I'm glad it's almost the weekend. I can stay home and watch movies or sleep or workout or whatever to get me through this. I hope the anxiety does go away soon because it was deffinitely my big trigger for drinking.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sara.

I had terrible anxiety during alcohol withdrawal, and it was the main reason I carried on for so long.

Yes, it does get better. Hang in there. Plenty of rest, plenty of fluids and a Christmas movie or 2 will help x
Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It will pass Sara, and as for being a pretty anxious person normally, that is myself to a T as well. When I getting restless, I try to do something active for 10 minutes....walk, clean, hit the heavy bag, or even talk on the phone which I don't like much but it does work to hear a friends voice.

"this to shall pass"

have a super day
Matt
Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it does get better x