Notices

Friday 12/20 is day 1

Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday 12/20 is day 1

Hi, I am new. I have been reading for a long time but have never posted. I have been drinking 14 to 24 ounces of bourbon since my divorce in 2005. I also have very bad anxiety. My therapist thinks my drinking is making it worse. The last few weeks it has been horrible and I have been drinking more. I am not doing my regular activities because I am too freaked to drive there. I am a single mother of three children. I went to my Dr and told her about my drinking, she prescribed lorazapam to prevent bad withdrawl.

I am so scared, I am afraid quitting will kill me; I don't want DT's or seizure. I am going to do it anyway....just really very scared..I hope I can do it
Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Countless others have walked the same path and keep walking...you can too! There is room on this road for everyone

It isn't going to be easy but it will most definitely be worth it. YOU are worth it.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome carebear - it's great you found us. This is a wonderful place where we all understand you.

I was afraid of letting go of it too. Even though in the end it brought me nothing but misery. I thought it was helping to keep me calm, but it did just the opposite. My anxiety was through the roof. You do not need it. Try to look forward to the wonderful new life you're going to have when you're free of it. We know you can do it.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both....I am just soooooooo scarred
Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

You are in a terrible loop. The drinking is making you anxious, the anxiety is making you scared to quit.

But quitting is the solution. You've seen your doctor, takes your meds as she's directed and you will be okay.

And stay close to SR.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, I plan to follow her instructions....I am just really scared of having some awful withdrawl. I need to stop for my kids and for myself. I don't want to die from this. OMG
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carebearlost - welcome

You've seen your Dr and she's prescribed something, so you're doing things the right way

You've have a lot of new friends here too so you're not alone - any concerns you have there'll be someone around

you can do this

Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your therapist is right babe - I had panic attacks since 19 but overcame them and then they came back with a vengeance when I drank - to the point I couldn't drive anymore. Am slowly getting over them again Welcome to SR, by the way
Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Care. I can't tell you not to be scared, but I can tell you that you have a bunch of supportive, understanding, and knowledgeable people here at SR. Perhaps just knowing that you are not alone, that others have gone before you, succeeded, and are fine, and that sobriety IS possilbe can help with the fear. You will be okay. There is strength in community, even an online community. Keep us posted.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there. You can do it. I used to have horrible anxiety about driving anywhere. For me it was the alcohol. When I had some sobriety time under my belt, and it wasn't a huge long time, it went away for the most.

Post here. Take your lorazepam as directed. Check in with your doctor if you feel you need to. It isn't easy at first but really well worth it.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, carebear! You can do this. I've always had a lot of anxiety too and didn't realize how much worse the drinking made it. I've been much less anxious since quitting.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anxiety is a nasty beast.....I have been self medicating for so many years. Just the last few months it seems to have gotten so much worse with the damn alcohol. I want to be able to feel normal without the booze. I will take my first pill in the morning and am planning to dump all the stuff left in the house down the drain. I sooooooooo hope I can do it. I really appreciate the support, I do no have much in my life.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do it! Do you have anyone who you can enlist to help out? I always had trouble dumping good alcohol down the drain. It helped if I had someone to talk to about it.