Notices

No New Year's Eve for me this year

Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No New Year's Eve for me this year

Hey,

I decided to let being sober be more important than celebrating the New Year. So I decided to skip the celebrations and stay sober.

Just wanted to make a quick note of this, maybe others need the idea as well.

Be well,

Jeff

P.S. To the person who PM'd me, I'll get back to you as soon as I can type more than a few sentences.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Jeff ,
I like to see the sweep of time , by watching online all of the places round the work celebrating online … finding webcams , looking at all the people and places . Looking out of the webcam on the international space station , With that and SR it makes me feel like i'm connected to the world .. checking them on the map , looking up cities on wikipedia .. "walking" round them on street view .

It's just what i like doing … stay strong

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always hated New Year's Eve, even when I was drinking. So giving up the partying when I got sober was not difficult for me at all.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I like staying home anyway, in the warm, watching good TV or films and eating nibbles. Much nicer than watching people fall about drunk.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go out for NYE anymore either Jeff...I reckon we're not missing much

D
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

For the first time in years, I spent last NYE at home. I had flu and was drinking but it was lovely to wake up in my own bed on the morning of Jan 1st! This year, I'm planning on doing the same - but definitely without the alcohol and (fingers crossed) without the flu, too!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Same here, just going to chill home sober!

Wood stove to the max, a nice tea, movies, munchies.

Then first say Of the year I wake up fresh.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

About four years ago, I had a cold and just lay in bed with my electric blanket, popcorn and watching Cloverfield. Weird but I really enjoyed myself.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep . . .we will be staying home, watching movies, drinking sparkling grape juice!!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

We've termed New Years Eve as amateur night. It's when not only us drunks are out on the road you have to add all of those people who usually don't drink and drive and have no practice at all out there. Home is the place to be.

I also put myself on call that evening so that sewed that up.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
I've always hated New Year's Eve, even when I was drinking. So giving up the partying when I got sober was not difficult for me at all.
Always hated New Years Eve as well! I have stayed home every time for years.
Except, this year I bought tickets to the symphony only because they are doing one of my favorite pieces.....Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". The tickets include parking and an after party. I will skip the after party and be the first out of the garage. I will be home and in bed before the fireworks go off.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So strange, but I always hated NYE too. Even in my active years drinking I usually didn't go out or even get drunk. I don't know, maybe it was a subconscious form of protest against all the normal people thinking they could be like me for a night. Just kidding

But seriously, it always pissed me off for some reason. All the amateurs doing stupid things. Which is so sick considering my antics on any given day were worse than most of the trouble many of them got into on NYE.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd like to join the "always hated new years even when drinking club." I used to get smashed on new years because I hated new years-drinking to forget that I hated drinking. whoa.

I'd also like to join the "staying in on new years" club and the waking up without a hangover club.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
I'd also like to join the "staying in on new years" club and the waking up without a hangover club.

Me too, please! Sign me up.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It'll be great to actually remember NYE for a change. I have no clue what I did last NYE.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For some reason, NYE seems to be a reason for people to get drunk. And it's become acceptable. Certain other occasions have that effect as well.

But examined, it doesn't make any sense. It's still harmful. People who have one or two drinks are ok. But I've come to the realization that it's all or nothing for me. This year I'm choosing nothing. Next year I'll go for apple juice. If you get "the good stuff" it's good quality, pure apple juice without any weird additives
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I haven't made it to midnight in years. The last few years I've had young babies and either I didn't drink, or passed out early.

Interestingly, or maybe not, the first New Year's party I remember was New Year's Eve 1999. I wasn't yet 21, and to this day I am remembered as being "the first puker of the new millennium!"

Ugh how embarrassing.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To be honest, I love NYE. I despice what alcohol does to it. It's a nice celebration which has gotten tainted by the habit of drinking too much, It's become a ritual, the Jan. 1st hangover. And did you have fun?

All it means is that the person drank in excess. Which is harmful.

If someone if able to celebrate it with a glass of Champagne and enjoy the festivities, fine by me. But the excessive drinking regarding this really is a problem.

So for my sobriety, this year it's a no. After that, I'll see. I'd be perfectly happy with apple juice.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad to see similar thoughts about the NYE. I got invited by some friends and they'll definately get wasted so I've made up a decision to not go there. Safe and sober, first and foremost.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyperson View Post
Hey,

I decided to let being sober be more important than celebrating the New Year. So I decided to skip the celebrations and stay sober.

Just wanted to make a quick note of this, maybe others need the idea as well.

Be well,

Jeff

P.S. To the person who PM'd me, I'll get back to you as soon as I can type more than a few sentences.
I'm half irish / half Scottish - and new year was always the 'biggie' Hogmanay and all that but - am right in there with ya