Notices

For the newly sober

Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hjj

For the newly sober

I have been sober for 28 years. My first sponsor was very focused on recovery. He died. Over the years I've chosen acquaintances for sponsors and didn't realize I was taking the easier, softer way. I worked the first 3 steps and the last 3 steps. I thought my spirituality and "drinking not an option" was enough to keep me sober. The hardest steps are 4-9 when we look at ourselves and discover who we really are.

For years I talked about my need to do a 4th step. I found a new sponsor. I had always thought I was a good person. It wasn't until I did my 4th and 5th steps that I found out how selfish, self-centered, and self-righteous I was.

Recognizing these defects of character has brought me closer to G-d, closer to the Fellowship, and an understanding of why I failed so many times during my sobriety.

My message is to the newcomer. Choose a sponsor that knows and works the 12 steps. Don't make the mistake I did. Your life will become so much richer when you work through the steps. Your spirituality will grow automatically and your chances for a contented life will grow as you never could imagined.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't do AA and am not sure what the 4th step is. But good on ya for being well
Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA has helped many people. 28 years of sobriety is awesome. I am not an AA member, but I think that your message is great for the AA individual. The program does offer a lot to people in general, not just in recovery. Bravo on your time!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope to celebrate 30 years in August. I was fortunate enough to have a sponsor who got me immediately involved in the steps. And even more fortunate that he wasn't a bigbook thumping guy who believed they must be done precisely as written in the book. We in fact used a a totally different book called The Twelve Steps to Happiness as our main guide. I later worked them several other ways, including as laid out in the BB, but unlike some others I don't believe that's a requirement to living the benefits of the steps. I say this because I believe many people are getting the idea these days that there is a very definite right and wrong way to do this stuff, and that has not been my experience.

The benefits I've gotten because I've applied these tools in my life have been immeasurable. I started AA depressed to the point of suicide, agoraphobic, and without a hope in the world. I could list endlessly the things I've gained because I practiced these principles without question and without reserve. I just posted details of that in another thread and don't really want to repeat myself. I have been living a life beyond anything I ever thought possible or even imagined.

Anyhow... Stopped in to agree with the op. If you're new to this game, and AA is your choice recovery tool, dive in. There's nothing in the steps that ever hurt me in any way. I have only grown and gained.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

. . . 28yrs and 30yrs . . . fantastic!! . . . I can only dream of getting there one day, thanks for being so inspirational!!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hope. I am at day 49 and I am all in with AA. God bless us all. I look forward to trudging the road of happy destiny with you.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hjj View Post

Choose a sponsor that knows and works the 12 steps.
if one is wanting to work the AA Program
I also think that's very important (a good moral Sponsor who works the Steps)

my first three Sponsors were what I would call weak in the Program
probably just what I was looking for

after many failed attempts
I hear an old guy sharing in AA that I knew
if he was my Sponsor he would not let me BS myself
he's been my Sponsor for close to 10 years now
in early sobriety he studied the AA Big Book with me for
many hours and many months
while redoing the Steps with him
I got honest like never before

Mountainman
Old 12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes the years do count but if someone asks me how long I've been sober I often say since I woke up. At a certain point I forgot my anniversary date for a # of years. It's great to see the program working, I go to a noon meeting and often in the front row of about 7-9 of us I count roughly + 325 years of sobriety. As said it works if we work it.

BE WELL
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hjj

Length of Sobriety

I think it is important to know the last day you had a drink or used. The BB teaches us that we shall not forget the past, nor shut the door on it. I want to remember how it was at the end of my using. We are quick forgetters!

It certainly not kept for bragging rites. The 12 steps are about ego-deflation. And the length of time one hasn't had a drink or used is not as important as the quality of your sobriety.