Notices

OCD and quitting

Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OCD and quitting

Since it's been a topic in my threads, I'd like to make a general thread about this. There is this disorder that's called OCD (Google it) that I never thought I'd have. But I do now.

It means that I can't quit on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Not on a Holiday. The days before and after cause stress as well and don't feel safe either. So it needs to be perfectly timed.

Otherwise something terrible will happen. Yes, I know, irrational but it's part of the disorder. It provides tremendous anxiety and guilt.

I just wanted to raise awareness to this disorder, and really hope you read up on it. Because it applies to behaviors like drinking as well.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can be a tricky and maddening issue to deal with....but it is possible! I was married to someone who had OCD and it became worse as he got older. Keep on working on that timing! When I quit drinking a lot of the mental health issues I had became a lot less severe. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was also married to someone with OCD so although I don't have it myself, I'm far from knowing nothing about it.

My ex wife is now light years away from where she was - so positive change is possible

Have you had a professional diagnosis Happyperson, or are you self diagnosed?

D
Old 12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@Dee, diagnosed by a professional long before alcohol entered the picture. My mistake was to refuse treatment. Which was a decision based on the problem itself. So if I want to get well, I will need to go for the treatment.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Treatment helped my ex no end, for sure.

I am curious tho...earlier you were determined to stay quit today...you'd gone 5 days...what happened?

D
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I am a little skeptical (not that OCD exists but that it affects the days you can quit drinking).

I'd say the vast majority of alcoholics have trouble quitting on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Holiday, or the day before or after a holiday. More due to the fact that those are major partying days than any form of OCD. If you notice, Friday, Saturday, and pre and post holidays are BIG relapse days.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@Dee. what happened was that, me being uneducated about alcoholism, I thought I could drink normally. Which got out of hand.

@ Leana, it's not about weekends and stuff. It's more complicated than that.

In any case, if I drink one more sip of wine now, according to my OCD I'll be fine. I know something like that sounds weird, but have the problem. Some people wash their hands 300 times a day or make sure they don't step on the cracks. In my case it has attached itself to alcohol. But if I quit after tonight, I'll be safe. Then I need help with my OCD though.

To all those who think this is weird, this is a real disorder. My expression of it would be relatively mild. It can get a lot worse (poor people).
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand OCD very well, my best friend has it. And I understand it takes many forms.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

See if you can focus your OCD on something beneficial. I had an uncle who had OCD and he was the most brilliant printer I have ever met. He was a heavy drinker before this so I think he redirected his "needs" to something productive. If you let OCD run rampant, it will control you with no benefit. I can't offer help on how to do this change btw, I just understand the condition.