Notices

Husbands drinking

Old 12-18-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husbands drinking

First of all I acknowledge I have had drinking issues before I met my husband. I take full responsibility for my problem and do not blame him or anyone for that.

However, I married a man than has issues greater or greater than my own with drinking. I guess I was used to having a babysitter man in my life that would make me stop drinking so I would. My husband enjoys it more than I do and so he isn't paying attention to how much I drink but how much more can he drink. Of course, I would continue to get comatose "literally" this last time. He just left me laying in the drive way for 2 hours and continued to drink inside. So we have the drunk leading the drunk. Deadly toxic combination. So I have taken the vow to never drink again and he says he is here to support me. He says he isn't going to drink anymore either because he too hates who he becomes. He said that he can't promise he will never drink again and he isn't doing anything pro-active for support. Nothing!

So I fear the inevitable day that he will choose to get drunk again. I feel like I should just end it now and face the pain before that day comes. But then again, maybe he can do it. So we are on day 17 of sober. He says he has no urges and I believe him. So I'm just scared and confused that maybe we do not belong together because we are bad for each other.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I have a drinking husband and would give anything to have him quit with me, in any form. I think you are lucky he is trying to support you and trying to be sober with you. He did acknowledge not liking who he becomes. I think you are off to a good start together and give it some time.

Many of us slip or relapse, but that does not mean we stop trying, or that we will never succeed.

As cliche as it sounds, take it one day at a time right now. Right now, he is not drinking, with you. Maybe more will come. Maybe he has the same fears inside as you do, too.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Rochele, this is all still so new and fresh. I appreciate the positive things you say about my husbands potential. I need to hear that.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations on the 17 days for both of you. Sounds like a "cross that bridge when you get there."