Notices

Am I really an Alcoholic ?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Am I really an Alcoholic ?

Am I really an Alcoholic or am I over reacting?
Have I drank too much and really just need to cut down or stop for a bit?
I have been sober for so many days, I can stop again at any time?
Why has this happened to me, its not fair?
I will just have an odd drink every once in a while, that will make me normal again ?

My Alcoholic Voice knows me better than anybody and in the past on many occasions, it has got the better of me and convince me to break my sobriety and start drinking again.

I have been looking at different ways that people ignore their own AV and part of it comes down to willpower and keeping busy.

Personally, the minute my AV starts to nag, I go to sleep, usually when I wake up, its gone.

I found the mental side of addiction, so much more painful than the physical side of addiction.

I have also found that evenings seem to be the worst for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't answer your question, only you can. Though alcohol was not my "thing", I did abuse it at one time.

As an addict in recovery, I ask myself a few questions. Do I want to be numb? Do I not care what happens as a consequence? Is it worth it?

I've abused alcohol, then opiates, then became a total crackhead. When life seems to be falling in around me (as it has the past few months), I ask myself - is getting numb worth it? Is it going to HELP anything or is it just prolonging what I need to feel? Do I really want to come back here and say "I messed up" when I'm coming up on 6 years in recovery?

Only you can answer the question of whether you're an alcoholic. My feeling is...if you do things you otherwise wouldn't do, if you lose control after whatever drink, if you feel remorse after drinking? You just might have a problem. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt in a rainbow of colors.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post autan

Posting here regularly, and reading my story over and over again in others stories here
really helped settle that 'do I have a problem' question for me.

Yes I do have a problem, and yes it was killing me.

When I looked at all the misery my drinking had caused me (and others) over the years, the idea of drinking again was either the idea of a fool, or an addict.

D
Old 12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Impurfect has it bang on. Only you can say.

As for the AV, instead of running away from it by going to sleep, I would face it head on. Things like urge surfing will give you the upper hand. Facing the voice will empower you.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I do not think it is healthy for anyone to drink alone at home every night. To drink until they cannot function properly the following day. To regret the action of drinking.
The truth is, I abuse alcohol to the point where it causes me to be ill and despite common sense telling myself this is normal. I know it is not normal.
I have been sober for 2 months and I have been well supported. Its not easy is it?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Autan - Exactly! I never knew I had an AV... for me it was just me being 'honest' with myself. Now I look and realize it is my AV fooling me and I have hope that I'm now going to be stronger than that inner voice. Thanks for the post Autan...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
I have been looking at different ways that people ignore their own AV and part of it comes down to willpower and.
I've found in the long run ignoring only puts off today for tomorrow. You are correct the mental sucks worse then the physical! The key to some contentment with all of this is figuring out what that AV is really trying to tell you. It only speaks one solution... " insert alcohol". But it's message is usually a warning call that something is up or off. Nows the time to really get to know yourself the things that hurt you to the core and make you want to run and disappear. Looking those things dead on in the eyes will shut that AV up!
Be well
Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. --YODA, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

;-)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

The individual is the only person who can/should answer the OP question.
My answer was that I was definitely addicted to alcohol. I told myself that I wanted to stop and yet I found myself drinking again. Finding out about AVRT and applying it to my mindset helped me tremendously. I decided to quit for good, took future drinking off the table as an option. I don't ignore my AV, I confront it. Any positive thought of drinking is recognized and dismissed , it's no longer an option, "didn't you get the memo?!"
Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

I do not think it is healthy for anyone to drink alone at home every night. To drink until they cannot function properly the following day. To regret the action of drinking.
The truth is, I abuse alcohol to the point where it causes me to be ill and despite common sense telling myself this is normal. I know it is not normal.
I have been sober for 2 months and I have been well supported. Its not easy is it?
No, it isn't easy. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Or no one would be doing it.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah the evenings are worst, but I know that's because that was the time to have a drink in my hand, I never drank at work, only after work, so my brain has been hardwired after many years to go to the fridge or the liquor store coming from work or upon arriving home.

It's definitely not easy to change that pattern around, but it can be done with a bit of forward planning, support and accountability!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I determined a while back that alcohol was going to bring more pain into my life than I wanted to bear. I knew I should quit. I wanted to quit. Then I had a helluva time actually quitting.

Disease? Alcoholic? Addiction? Character flaw? Tuna-stuffed twinkie?

No matter what I choose to call it I still have to do the same things.

Go ask a person without an alcohol problem what that little voice in their head is telling them about their next drink. The blank, puzzled look on their face is all the proof you need that you're not like them.

Keep doing what you're doing. Two months is AWESOME!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Am I really an Alcoholic or am I over reacting?
Have I drank too much and really just need to cut down or stop for a bit?
I have been sober for so many days, I can stop again at any time?
Why has this happened to me, its not fair?
I will just have an odd drink every once in a while, that will make me normal again ?

My Alcoholic Voice knows me better than anybody and in the past on many occasions, it has got the better of me and convince me to break my sobriety and start drinking again.

I have been looking at different ways that people ignore their own AV and part of it comes down to willpower and keeping busy.

Personally, the minute my AV starts to nag, I go to sleep, usually when I wake up, its gone.

I found the mental side of addiction, so much more painful than the physical side of addiction.

I have also found that evenings seem to be the worst for me.
Of course you are not an alcoholic ( I hate labels, so me personally I have a 'drink problem') but regardless - no you just got bored and spent at least 5 minutes posting that..... or did you?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi. When I first arrived at AA that question bothered me also. I was asked if I could guarantee the results if I drank and when was the last time I had only one drink. I found out that I can not drink in safety no matter what it's called. I needed to grow up and shed the irresponsible lifestyle. Thinking so much about drinking is not "normal."
When I finally was able to keep the plug in the jug life/me started to get better.
BE WELL
Old 12-18-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I honestly believe 'labels' are a curse - labelling something makes it 'acceptable' whereas if we say 'we have a drink problem' - THAT is something that can be worked on Xx