Notices

New diagnosis of ADHD

Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New diagnosis of ADHD

Hello,

I was diagnosed with ADHD recently (inattentive type) just recently. So far, the medication is working a little (won't start stimulant-types until first medication takes effect). I have found that since I have been taking the medication, I have zero craving for alcohol and feel calmer and more focused. Has anyone else had this experience?

I have secretly suspected that I have had ADHD for many years, and it was my psychologist who suggested that I be tested for it. I scored very high on the inattentive portion and hope that I will be feeling even better as my treatment progresses.

I wonder if anyone on these boards has had untreated ADHD while abusing alcohol. I am just trying to fit the puzzle pieces together, so that I can continue living a healthy and purposeful life.

Any tips on how to cope with adult ADHD would be sincerely appreciated (Please no suggestions about medication).
Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and have had bipolar disorder for years. I have chosen not to take any medication until I have a year of sobriety (I am at 8 months). My moods, emotions, and feelings are trying to figure themselves out and I am trying focus, concentration and relaxation therapy first. You have to learn to concentrate on what is in front of you rather than 5 different things at once. I have gotten some major headaches because of this constant concentration because my brain muscles are really working. It's very hard to learn how to focus but I'm trying to do this without medication for now.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What was that? Sorry... wasn't paying attention....
Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
You have to learn to concentrate on what is in front of you rather than 5 different things at once. .
That is just the problem. I have been trying that my whole life, with mixed results.

I am excited about feeling better and feeling "awake" for the first time in my life. I am hopeful that my addiction issues will be easier to manage because I am being treated for ADHD.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience but I wanted to wish you the best 1st
Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. The last two weeks have been the craziest of my life. Thank you for all the support you have offered.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Same here 1st, no experience but wanted to let you know, I wish you the best also.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you're seeking answers and medical help.