Notices

Day 3 and I think I should go see a doctor

Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Day 3 and I think I should go see a doctor

I was so tired last night. Hadn't really slept in 2.5 days. I was playing a game on my computer when I notice bizarre music that wasn't part of the game (very quiet). I can't figure out where it's from. I decide to go to sleep. Within minutes I hear very quiet music. A woman's voice humming. I get up, it's still there and I can't figure out where it's from. I go back to bed, I hear a song with lyrics I can't make out. With my eyes closed I see very vivid images, some from movies, some from events I remember. Nothing scary, but it last for an hour. Maybe I'm kidding myself but I chalk it up to sleep deprivation and not eating for 2.5 days.

I wake up refreshed. No singing. Nothing. I had slept for 7 hours. I went to the store to get some food, but other than a lot of anxiety of being in public I feel fine. I get back home, I start hearing music again out of the blue. This time I can make out the lyrics which repeat themselves over and over. It sounds like there is a conversation going on in the corner, but there's no one there. Very quiet, I can't make it out.

Could this be DT's? Physically I feel fine. I'm not seeing anything. I'm just hearing it. I swear a minute ago my phone went off but nothing. Has anyone had this happen before? Could it be lack of sleep and food? I'm sorta confused right now.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a Gift

Yes I think you should go see a doctor. It could be DT's, I have had some pretty weird stuff go on but it could be something else. See if you can get in to a doctor today.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What you described I experienced EXACTLY. I was having flashbacks and flash-forwards of my life in movie clips. I heard the music as well. It was literally background music.
Yes I did see my Dr about it. I got a prescription.
Remember you are in seizure territory in the first 72 hours. Very dangerous.
I wish you all the best.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would go and see a doctor. It might be nothing to worry about but it's best to be safe. Best wishes.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had pretty much the same thing when I was detoxing... Heard a radio playing when I was on the computer where I assumed it was coming from but I muted the computer and it continued playing. It doesn't sound like full blown DTs as you wouldn't be typing coherently on he computer if you had those and you would be shaking like a leaf but even though you physically feel fine, you should get to a doctor ASAP to see their opinion as I can't diagnose what you have. My guess is alcoholic hallucinosis - a non life threatening symptom of withdrawal which is compounded by lack of sleep and food and resolves itself within 48 hours. A doctor will clear this up however. Whatever the cause, provided you have a few good meals and some good sleeps I'd suspect it will clear up within 5 days at the very most...
Old 12-17-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Make an appointment with a doctor.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
I had pretty much the same thing when I was detoxing... Heard a radio playing when I was on the computer where I assumed it was coming from but I muted the computer and it continued playing. It doesn't sound like full blown DTs as you wouldn't be typing coherently on he computer if you had those and you would be shaking like a leaf but even though you physically feel fine, you should get to a doctor ASAP to see their opinion as I can't diagnose what you have. My guess is alcoholic hallucinosis - a non life threatening symptom of withdrawal which is compounded by lack of sleep and food and resolves itself within 48 hours. A doctor will clear this up however. Whatever the cause, provided you have a few good meals and some good sleeps I'd suspect it will clear up within 5 days at the very most...
That's what I mean. My hands are steady enough to type. I don't have ANY of the other symptoms. Not sweating. Not shaking. Just hearing very quiet music. It's like if your roommate decided to play the same song over and over two rooms down.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Ncognito13 View Post
That's what I mean. My hands are steady enough to type. I don't have ANY of the other symptoms. Not sweating. Not shaking. Just hearing very quiet music. It's like if your roommate decided to play the same song over and over two rooms down.
No one can diagnose you via the internet. It may very well be nothing but the only way to find out is to see a doctor.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go see a doc today.
I've experienced something very similar when detoxing.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had auditory hallucinations when I quit the first time after a big binge. every evening driving home from work, I heard the choir in my car.

it stopped around day 5-6.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had some of your same symptoms and saw a doctor within the first few days of sobriety. That is your best bet. Be very honest with your doctor as well. They just want to help but can't unless they know the full story. Good luck and go as soon as possible. Detoxing from alcohol is very dangerous and can be scary if you don't know why things are happening to you.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Auditory hallucinations are another common type of alcoholic hallucinations. These occur when an alcoholic begins to hear sounds or voices. Sometimes it will be some harmless, albeit annoying noise, such as constant music.

Found this on a site. YES, I could be wrong, but it describes it perfect. On a previous 'attempt' to get sober I recall hearing music so loud I thought I had headphones on. On a side note I still will go to a doctor just to find out my overall health. I just wasn't sure if phase one of DT's was repetitive music coming from nowhere.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Auditory hallucinations are another common type of alcoholic hallucinations. These occur when an alcoholic begins to hear sounds or voices. Sometimes it will be some harmless, albeit annoying noise, such as constant music.

Found this on a site. YES, I could be wrong, but it describes it perfect. On a previous 'attempt' to get sober I recall hearing music so loud I thought I had headphones on. On a side note I still will go to a doctor just to find out my overall health. I just wasn't sure if phase one of DT's was repetitive music coming from nowhere.
Dr. Google can give you just about any diagnosis you want ( or don't want ) if you search long enough. If you have concerns, see a real doctor. It's against the rules of the forum for us to give medical advice, and its'a also against the rules to ask for medical advice. If you have a medical question, see a medical doctor please.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad you are feeling better, that's great news but do get checked out in case. I used to hear the phone ring, my kids calling me etc, when there was no one there. xx
Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

No matter what it is I think seeing your own Dr is a great idea Ncognito
Be safe and put your mind at ease

D
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I made it to about 10 or 11 days before seeing the doctor. I should have gone sooner. At the very least you need to get those Vit B's in you.

I say, just do it
:-)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your insight. I have a DR appointment in two days (best I can do in a city this large). I feel great right now (sorta cloudy, sorta tired, it's day 3 so I'm not sick as I was but I'm eating and feel a lot better ).

I do think it is Alcoholic hallucinosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Yes, the internet is not a doctor but it's describing effects spot on with several 'legit' sites (google Alcoholic hallucinosis). I'm at home listening to music and it's like most music will in a few minutes will repeat itself 10 feet away (I put Queen on). It really freaked me out last night, but now I know it's probably a mild side effect of going cold turkey at home.

If you want, I will give you my DR's opinion? (Two days).
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank you all for your insight. I have a DR appointment in two days (best I can do in a city this large). I feel great right now (sorta cloudy, sorta tired, it's day 3 so I'm not sick as I was but I'm eating and feel a lot better ).

I do think it is Alcoholic hallucinosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Yes, the internet is not a doctor but it's describing effects spot on with several 'legit' sites (google Alcoholic hallucinosis). I'm at home listening to music and it's like most music will in a few minutes will repeat itself 10 feet away (I put Queen on). It really freaked me out last night, but now I know it's probably a mild side effect of going cold turkey at home.

If you want, I will give you my DR's opinion? (Two days).
Hey Ncognito . Hope you're doing well , just curious as to how your doctors appointment went and what his thoughts were on your hallucinations? Hope they are all resolved now!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad you are feeling better x
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope this is just temporary and you feel better soon