Notices

4th Step

Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4th Step

Hi all. Hope all is well. Things are going wonderful for me. I am a little over 4mo sober and although this is hard work, I am finally seeing the miracles surface!

I feel like I finally understand step 1-3. It was kind of like a wow moment. Wondering why I didn't "get it" for my whole life. Lol But so greatful I finally see what is being shared.

This brings me to the 4th step. I have yet to do a formal BB 4th step, but my resentments are coming to my mind, and in understanding steps 1-3 help from my sponser, and the program, I can almost at once see my wrong in the situation and the resentment fades away. I have been writing notes, for my future 5th step.

My sponser has not asked me to do a total 4th step, (I did a little with her) and I feel like I'm doing the 4th step already. But I want to do what the BB says, it has not failed me yet! So, after the holidays I am going to tell her I'm ready to go. My question is, do you think it would be ok to kind of 4th step with my counsler until then? Talk about my wrongs, fears ect. Because resentments are all that's on my mind, but I feel like my HP and I are knocking them out one by one! I just need to talk about it. Thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't a clue what step 4 is - but well done on 4 months
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Start wit hthe first column and add names into it with everyone you have a resentment with. I am on this step now - also I think you might be better served posting in the 12 step section here. Your sponsor should be guiding you with this.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks jdooner. I agree and we do talk about it. I guess I'm just wondering if it is only with my sponser that I should do this with.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't commnet on others - I am only doing this with my sponsor and then rading my 5th step to my home group. Talk to your sponsor about it. If you don't feel comfortable having this convo with him/her then maybe they are not the right sponsor. 4th step has pretty clear instructions though - you should be proud, I found #1 the most dififcult and then #3. Four is just connecting the dots and being honest with yourself.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on being ready to complete your Fourth step. No worries about discussing your past with a Counselor that's what they are there for. You sound like you are off to a great start! Keep moving forward!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jdooner....you're reading your fifth step to your home group? The group?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on starting a process that can be so rewarding. Each persons "inventory" is their own making this step more unique. I was on a high after my first one which opened my eyes on the reasons I drank. For me it's a never ending reconditioning process paired with step 10.

BE WELL
Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Talking with your sponsor about your "stuff" is what helps us heal. By the time I did my fifth step, my sponsor already knew what was in it.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
Jdooner....you're reading your fifth step to your home group? The group?
Yes - roughly 12 people
Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Black Bird View Post
My question is, do you think it would be ok to kind of 4th step with my counsler until then? Talk about my wrongs, fears ect. Because resentments are all that's on my mind, but I feel like my HP and I are knocking them out one by one! I just need to talk about it. Thanks
Yes, this is a journey, not a destination. I did a 4th step with a counselor.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, it was most helpful to work through the steps with a sponsor. A lot of times I've noticed that sponsors do not necessarily want to interfere or contradict what a therapist says or the guidance they provide so I might suggest talking this idea through with your sponsor before working it through two separate people.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job on 4 Months!!