Notices

Alcoholism and therapy

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and therapy

So I have a therapist, and I thought I would touch on how that has helped me. So first and foremost, sobriety is the most important.

I have found that cognitive behavioral therapy works very well for me since i have other mental factors that drive / drove me to drink. (mine is anxiety. A heavy blanket of booze took care of that, but didn't treat the underlying condition.)

Do you guys agree that its helpful?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe that alcoholism is a symptom of other problems and adjunct therapy is very helpful.

One of my favorite alcoholic jokes:

What do you get when a horse thief sobers up?

A sober horse thief
Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha that's awesome.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I started CBT back in August and I am finding it quite helpful.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, very useful. I love my cognitive therapy
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post

Do you guys agree that its helpful?
Totally. I started seeing a therapist about a year ago. We just "clicked", you know? I worry a lot. I'm a "worrier". And it was contributing to my desire to self-medicate through alcohol. And this therapist has been so helpful in working with me to gain healthier perspectives by lessening the obsessive worries and cognitive distortions that so often trip me up.... He has a great sense of humor, too, which was the perfect kind of therapist for me. Makes me look forward to the sessions.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Could not agree more. I am seeing a therapist, going to AA, I need all the help I can get! I am transforming from helpless drunk/high and terrified to sober! Anxiety still present but much better. We do recover!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I would also add that it took me 3 tries to find the one that clicked. Rather like AA meetings - you should check out several before making one your 'regular' meeting.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first one I found was from a referral from a therapist that wasn't accepting new patients. I called her, set up appointment, and I love it.

The flow of conversation and quality of the questions asked is key. I am very impressed with her to be honest.

For me, finding an aa place has been a challenge. The ones close to me are usually 50 and above. It makes me feel ridiculous that someone my age can be an alcoholic.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Most of those people were your age at one time.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see a therapist also and it helps. I also agree that my alcohol consumption was due to self medicating and my disease. I was not happy with who I was so I had an escape and I couldn't shut it off. I am sure I will continue with therapy for years because it helps me see myself from a different point of view.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think that therapy is a good compliment to AA and working the steps. My sponsor happens to think that all you need to stay sober is AA and while that may work for some, I'm finding good success by using multiple avenues. Hey, whatever works is what I'm going to continue doing.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried therapy for years. It was more a place to go and just vent for 50 minutes. Honestly, he couldn't get a word in edge-wise.

I have always suffered from anxiety and depression. And, I always drank to relieve those negative emotions. I never really understood just how much alcohol abuse has contributed to that constant negative state. Having been sober for almost 4 months, I am absolutely amazed at how much my anxiety and depression has decreased. It truly is remarkable.