Notices

Sleep question

Old 12-17-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep question

Hi. I am a new member. I have been drinking since 18. I am now 58. Quit over 2 months ago. I get to sleep quickly, but wake up after only 6 hours. I am fine during the day. It just upsets me that I can only sleep so long. From all of yours expertise, is this normal or should I be concerned? I have a script for Trazadone, but still have the 30 pills left. I see no reason to take it since I fall asleep right away. I go to the gym about 2 1/2 hours a day. Thanks for any advise.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think a person's sleep patterns are as unique as they are.

I stayed up late and drank and always got up tired. Did this for years. When I quit I slept a lot, catching up on all the hours of sleep I missed. But as the sober months wore on, a more natural pattern of staying up a little later and getting up early was established.

Is it uninterrupted sleep that you are getting? Are you rested after 6 hours? I know the health experts say 8 hours of sleep is ideal, but who really gets that? Your body is settling into a routine of sober sleep and it sounds like 6 hrs is enough for you.

But if it concerns you, you should see a doctor, as we can't give medical advice.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep i agree with carl. Sounds like you have fallen into your own sleep pattern. If you are well rested, i think you are fine. If not, perhaps see a doctor. Awesome on 2 months+ by the way!!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep question

doggonecarl.
Can't seem to respond to your email. I do not have 15 or 25 or whatever amount of posts required. I do fall asleep immediatley. I wear a CPAP and do not stir. I may, on occasion wake up to use the bathroom. (can't seem to quit crunching ice or drinking water till bedtime) I wake up well rested. I have no problems during the day. I am full of engery. I do reaize, from reading my recovery book, that I can go through withdraw symptoms for up to a year or more. I do, at MY request to the Dr., take anti-buse. I was also given 40 MG of Hydrobromide a day. I quit taking that however, because I was feeling weird and a little dizzy and that has subsided since. I have a group meeting today at 1. I will ask the Pysciatrist about this today. Thanks for your personal response carl.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The changes became radical for me as far as sleep was concerned with vivid dreams soon after I put the drink down for the last time.
It, the vivid dreams, settled after a while, I just had to endure that part of the phase early in sobriety.
Drinking no longer "fixed it", it just made it worse and prolonged the recovery time.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

i sleep about 5 hrs in the week and about 9hrs (one of 6 and then a midmorning snooze of 3) fri/sat & sat/sun .

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sleep between 5 and 6 hours a night, and take a few naps a week. IMO 6 hours a night is fine, especially since you said you feel fine.

Curious what everyone thinks seeing a doctor will do? Provide more pills that the op already said they don't want to take?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tazbo View Post
doggonecarl.
Can't seem to respond to your email.
You can respond to anyone's post, individually by clicking the Quote icon in the post, editing as necessary, and adding your reply. Or you can just type in a Quick Reply. No need to start a new thread. It will take a little while but you will get the hang of how the forum operates.

You should be able to send personal messages (PMs) after 5 posts.

And as others have said, congrats on two months.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tazbo View Post

I have a script for Trazadone
seems that the doctors hand a lot of those out lately
I know so many taking Trazadone
many years ago the doctors also gave them to me
this time sobering up
I did not wish to take anything that would alter my mind
thus no Trazadone or Valium while not drinking
for me - this has worked out the very best
Trazadone left me feeling a little hung over (something for me to avoid)
even after 6 years without a drink I don't sleep that well
if you are getting 6 hours of sleep (more than enough)
be grateful
MB
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

seems obvious there's no reason for pills if you sleep okay and are fine during the day.
maybe get rid of the idea that there is a certain amount of sleep you "should" have...

"normal" for me is not sleeping well. i fall asleep quickly and easily and then wake up frequently during the next 7 hours with aches and pains. that's just how it is, no big deal.

if you're fine during the day, why be upset about this?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you eat much sugar tazbo?
Sometimes when are body jolts us up its cus our sugar levels dip.
If you cut out the sugar then you body will balance out more

But if your not, and your not really that tired, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tazbo - welcome
I merged your two threads into one.

Like others have said I think sleep patterns are very individual. I usually get by with 6 hours or so - and did so for years, but recently it's been 8 or 9 cos I'm on meds.

If you're worried or concerned the best thing is to see your Dr

D
Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I only sleep about 6 hours a night also. I feel fine all day and I am tired about 10 oclock but I go to bed around 12 and I am wide awake around 6. If I am lucky I sleep to 7.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It has already been said, but if you are feeling rested and with good energy throughout the day, sounds fine to me. I can only share my experience tho. But after getting 7 hours of sleep a night drunk for a fee decades, it seems to me at least that 6 hours of sober sleep is better sleep. Until you are feeling tired or having problems I personally wouldn't be concerned. My sister has never drank or done drugs in her life, and gets 6-7 hours of sleep a night and doesn't even think about it. The "recommended" sleep is 8 hours. Not sure where they got that number tho.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to have poor sleep, I would cycle between awake and sleeping for 10 hours, then get up tired as hell.

Now I sleep 6-7 hours and barely wake up except for pee.
I wake up like a new man every morning!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's clear that we are all unique, Tazbo. For me, I had to cut out everything. I for about 3 years, I tried to get sober using over-the-counter sleep aids, but I ended up swinging back and forth from booze to sleep pills, eventually downing both for an extended period of time--very dangerous. Be smart. Analyzye your own behavior/tendencies, that's what I think anyway. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tazbo - if the six hours leaves you rested, that it seems your fine. I get about 6 to 6.5 hours now. when drinking my sleep was horrible, woke up, had sweats, had to get up. But now I find it deeper and when I get up I feel rested as well. Everyone is different but sounds like your doing good!!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Six hours sleep a night, and feeling well-rested and full of energy during the day? Wow, I'm jealous! I would LOVE to have a sleep schedule like that! I need about 7.5 hours to feel fully rested. There is always so much to do, I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day. It would be GREAT to have an extra hour and a half each day!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

If you're worried or concerned the best thing is to see your Dr

D
I know my posts sometimes come off as if they're baiting someone, but I'm genuinely curious why you or anyone would think the best thing to do is see a doctor, in this situation?

Most people I know get between 5 and 6 hours sleep a night, and that seems to be fine. The OP said they feel fine physically. The only possible thing I can imagine a doctor doing for anyone who complains about not getting enough sleep, is prescribe sleep aids. Which IMO is a very slippery slope for someone in sobriety. Especially someone who it seems all is going quite well for. I never heard of anyone getting into any physical trouble for having "only" 6 hours sleep a night.

Only thing I can imagine is that there is a huge difference in doctor/patient relationships in the US, and other countries. I spent many years in my 20s and 30s being misdiagnosed and mistreated by doctors. I only got healthy when I started truly listening to my body, and thinking and learning outside the box of what the Drs were telling me.

For these reasons I feel quite passionate about advising anyone to trust their physician. I get checkups. I will listen to what a Dr. will tells regarding my bloodwork, my prostate, or any strange odd pain I might be experiencing for longer than a week. If god forbid I ever get diagnosed with Cancer or any other clearly diagnosed disease, I'll listen to every word I'm told. For things that don't seem like a threat however, I will trust my gut, my research, and the experience of those around me.

Again, not looking to start a debate... just trying to understand something I don't, from someone who seems to more often than not have the right the thing to say. Or anyone else who also thinks an MD would be helpful in this situation.