Notices

New Sponsor

Old 12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

Question New Sponsor

I had been without a sponsor for a year. In that year I had a few slips and didn't work the steps. I got the courage to ask this guy at my meeting if he would sponsor me. He seems pretty tough and told me that I need to do what he tells me to do. I'm meeting with him on Wednesday night for the first time. I'm kind of nervous. I don't do very well with people telling me what to do. I'm kind of a rebel.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Go and meet him and see what kind of plan he lays out for you. You are always free to tell him that doesn't suit you and you don't think you'd be a good match. On the other hand, try him out for a while and see how it goes. You might be surprised.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It sounds like you might want some tough help. You did ask him right? Why?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I'd give it a try, even if you are a rebel lol.

Your new sponsor may just want you to follow through the steps and do things that may seem uncomfortable at first but will be very beneficial for your sobriety in the long run.

I gotta tell ya I was just like you when I got my first sponsor. Wanted to take bits and pieces...do some things but not others....guess what? I drank again. The only thing that kept me sober was listening and doing what other people told me to do for awhile. Can't tell you how many times I went back to my sponsor and told her she was right. Can't hurt to give it a try is what I'm saying, and your life depends on it
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have come to believe that God does for me what I cannot do for myself. You never know what path we are prepared to take to remain sober. Maybe it is a firmer hand?

For some, turning that rebellious energy into discipline is the answer. Good luck and keep an open mind.