And then we have all the *&@#$*&^ holiday parties...

Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And then we have all the *&@#$*&^ holiday parties...

Just venting. No danger of overheating or anything. However,

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

So 'tis the season. Whether you celebrate a good old heathen Yule or Solstice or the birth of Jesus... why in the name of Angus McPherson does every celebration have to be laden with booze? I mean, we're past the idea that it somehow makes you withstand the cold better, right?

And no, I no longer deal with an alcoholic on a daily basis (apart from a coworker but that's a different story). I don't drink at these functions. But I'm so tired of being a) surrounded by people who aren't nearly as fun inebriated as they believe and b) pushed to drink (or having my decision to not drink questioned).

And I'm in a job where there's parties with clients I can't back out of and I'm very good at keeping a smiling face and saying "that's right, I don't drink -- I'm the company's designated boring sober person. The one people don't appreciate till they can't find the exit. More bean dip?"

So I'm just venting. Nothing will change. Post-alcoholic-marriage, though, I find it more and more disturbing how few events adults in this country are able to attend and find enjoyable without alcohol being involved. And I'm not recovering alcoholic. I can only imagine how hairpullingly frustrating it must be for them!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

lillamy- I agree 100%. I swear sometimes when I say no to a drink or answer with "I don't drink" people look at me like I just told them I was a serial killer. It is ridiculous.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll never understand it myself.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally agree. I threw a party recently and specifically stated no booze. The AH even agreed as he didn't want to be responsible for people driving home drunk. Hardly anyone showed. We all had fun playing board games and just generally chatting but even the ones that showed complained that we didn't have any booze available. It's pretty sad really.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel the same way, Im always surprised that these people that have watched what alcohol has done to my life, my kids life, and how it has effected us and are then surprised when I refuse an offered drink or leave when it starts to get obnoxious ...I really have no tolerance for it at all. to me, booze is the devil.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ixi

I swear, adults are worse than high schoolers with the peer pressure to drink. RABF is not "out" to my family and I almost had to beat my (drunk) mother over the head to get her to stop trying to make drinks for him on Thanksgiving.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And then the drunk people start "dancing" (if you want to call it that).
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by formyboys View Post
to me, booze is the devil.
That's why they call it the Spirits. Creepy... I forget where I heard that but I was like Oh My God... That's why he looks so possessed!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You'd think it would just be simpler to admit no one really likes each other that much and stay home.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ixi View Post
I almost had to beat my (drunk) mother over the head to get her to stop trying to make drinks for him on Thanksgiving.
Yeah... my pill head mother decided that a night of tequila and calling to antagonize me would be fun. She wanted me to bring my then AH over to her house so she could show him how to drink. I reminded her that he could drink her under the table on a 2 week vodka fueled bender and STILL get up to go to work! Ugh... Then she said, well bring him over and let me see if he pee wee still gets hard. I told her he doesn't like fat, ugly bitches.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

I was so small minded when I drank, thought you couldn't go out and have a good time without it, quite the contrary.

An evening out is much more enjoyable without booze, no misgivings, regrets later or next day. So a drinker will never understand why someone goes out and doesn't drink, unless it's to be their designated driver etc. etc. etc.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
Yeah... my pill head mother decided that a night of tequila and calling to antagonize me would be fun. She wanted me to bring my then AH over to her house so she could show him how to drink. I reminded her that he could drink her under the table on a 2 week vodka fueled bender and STILL get up to go to work! Ugh... Then she said, well bring him over and let me see if he pee wee still gets hard. I told her he doesn't like fat, ugly bitches.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Its is horribly annoying. If you need to give an excuse why you are not drinking, just use mine. Tell them you are working out or on a low carb diet. People seem to be able to accept you are trying to loss weight easier than you don't feel the need to drink.

Good luck, it is so hard to be around....

4MyBoys
Old 12-16-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I still like the excuse my AA friend uses: "no thank you, I'm allergic to alcohol. Makes me break out in a$$holeness all over the place."
Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You'd think I'd hate alcohol at this point but I don't. I like a Guinness on a chilly night and a good glass of wine with a good book and up until recently my mom and I were talking aboit going wine tasting for Mother's Day.

However, I agree that the peer pressure to drink at practically any social event is insane. I never really noticed until I was pregnant and was pretty much the only sober person at any evening/night social gathering. Sports events are the worst unless we don't go with friends. With friends it's like a contest trying to see how many beers everyone can take back to their seats.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a very strange thing in our society if you look at it objectively. They seem to sell it everywhere, I've seen beer on tap at kids birthday party places, but you aren't REALLY supposed to be drunk anywhere? Go figure?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I get questioned ALL the time. I used to be a beer drinker till RAH started trying to quit, then I switched to cran and club when we're in a social situation.

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked, How come YOU'RE not drinking? Or WHAT are YOU drinking? Seriously, what does it matter and why does anyone care?

Very frustrating!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
I was so small minded when I drank, thought you couldn't go out and have a good time without it, quite the contrary.

An evening out is much more enjoyable without booze, no misgivings, regrets later or next day. So a drinker will never understand why someone goes out and doesn't drink, unless it's to be their designated driver etc. etc. etc.
I agree! I have just as much fun without drinking, and I wake up early feeling great the next day!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And by "dancing" I don't mean just bad dancing...I'm talking about squatting on the dance floor with your crotch/underwear showing, and when really drunk people try to "twerk" when they're already having trouble standing up...
Old 12-16-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I do not get why people like drinking because the next day to me outweighs all benefits!! You get anxiety out the wazoo, bad skin, dry mouth, sick. Smell, and the day is gone, not to mention say stuff you regret. I can't even have a beer with my dinner without my heart sinking bc it makes me so sad how it has affected my life and abfs. I don't think I will ever see alcohol the same again for the rest of my life.