Notices

The plan

Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The plan

Well, after 5 long days post alcohol poisoning hospitalization, my withdrawals are finally gone, my mood is leveled out, and I'm determined to never have to go through that hell again. I've resisted the urge to drink in some pretty challenging situations in the past few days. I've been to my first AA meeting. I know that now is the time for me to make a plan so this never gets out of control again. Here is what I have come up with so far.

-continue attending AA meetings regularly
-read that Big Book thing
-discuss the importance of my sobriety with close family and friends and ask them to hold me accountable
-make a list of reasons to stay sober and carry it with me
-continue talking with my friend and cousin that have had success in recovery
-continue posting here in SR
-regular exercise
-make staying sober my #1 life priority

Any other suggestions are very much welcome ... This is my second and most serious attempt at long term sobriety, so I'm relatively new to this, but I really want it .... Unless I want to die young or loose everything good in my life, I know that staying sober is my only choice ... If any of you have any good tips / tricks for doing this please tell me... Thanks everybody, and I hope you are all doing well...
Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Erik

that list sounds quite strong. Will you also get a sponsor and consider doing the steps ? My other suggestions are practicing mindfulness and meditation. Having said that, it seems like you have a lot on your plate already !
Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For sure! I'll try anything! The last 5 days were absolute hell!!!!! I will try anything to avoid that from happening ever again...
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great plan Erik!

I think the toughest thing to get across to people starting out being Sober, is that the first few days can be hell, the danger is to have a drink to feel better, but by pushing through during the first week as you say the withdrawals ease up and mood swings level out a bit!!

It all starts with taking that first leap of faith!! Great Job!!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your list is good Erik!! I am so happy that you have come to this decision and are committed!

Remember also to stay hydrated, eat well and manage your stress.

Many triggers occur when you are tired, hungry, thirsty and/or stressed.

Take care of yourself and glad you are here!!!

Good job!!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan Erik. Some other things that helped me... reading recovery books and finding new interests and hobbies to keep me busy. I also changed my routine to avoid any triggers.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

The daily practice of gratitude has really helped me. I was initially very sceptical, but I saw someone else here swore by it. it takes at least 30 days for the effect to start "kicking in". From there the effect grows slowly.

See the gratitude threads on the main menu and just start.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
If you're going to go to the AA route, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a sponsor and beginning the step work asap.

Meetings are a big part of AA. But the program is the steps. The emotional and spiritual change comes from working the steps.

I'd also suggest to continue to build your support network. It's great that you plan on discussing your sobriety here on SR and with your cousin and friend. But the more people you have on your side, the better. When you're in a difficult situation or struggling, you want to be able to pick up the phone and reach out to someone. The first (or second or third) person may not pick up. So the more people you have to talk to, the higher the odds that you can deal with a rough patch.

Best of luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your things to do are fine. My very early desires and doing things were slowed by being reminded of Easy Does It and Keep it Simple as I bit off more than I can handle even today.
I got a lot of good advise/help from the AA booklet "Living Sober." and practicing the slogans on the walls at meetings.

BE WELL
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Erik, it sounds like you have a good plan.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Erik,

I find reading recovery books has helped me greatly. Alan Carr's book is pretty good, a very easy read, and pretty much common sense. Good luck man!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Looks good, Erik. I hear a lot of strenght and dertmination in your voice there. Stay strong. Onward!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Erik, your list sounds great. What worked for me was identifying the situations and times when I would normally drink (after work, in the evening) and doing something different to break the habit. So I would walk part of my commute, have a nice juice after work, make sure I didn't come home hungry or thirsty. That helped break the habit.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Erik you have put a lot of thought into your sobriety. The last point you made is really your primary point, make your sobriety your focus.
Are you a regular on any threads here? There will be a class of December 2013 thread for others in the same boat as you and you will all help and support each other through. There is also the year and under thread, where there are all sorts, some almost civilised! ( I jest, I'm one of them) the thing is if you join a thread where you feel a bond, it increases your personal strength.
You have a very positive outlook, which will stand you in good stead. You have your life ahead of you, I hope you make it a happy sober one. X
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That sounds like a great plan Erik and I am glad you made it through detox and you survived alcohol poisoning.
Now that you don't drink, remember you do not pick up the first drink not matter what. Also if that pesky little voice which tells you that you are feeling good and can have "just one last one" is not you Erik but your AV. Do not listen to it.
I hope you will join us at the 24 hours club where we commit to stay clean and sober for the next 24 hours. Before you know it, those days do pile up http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4350175
Last but not least, you might want to think about getting a new job. I have known a couple of bartenders and a cocktail waitress in AA who had been sober some years, still God bless them it is a tough job for an alcoholic especially in early sobriety.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How do I join different threads?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just click on the link, with the 24 hours club all you have to do is write down the time and that you are in for another 24 hours. Gilmer posts the rosters, people's proud time and some inspirational things at least once a day.
When it comes to threads on SR: The only requirement for membership is a desire to start clicking