Notices

Please let me make it one week

Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please let me make it one week

My drinking is like mr. hyde coming out in the worst way. It has been impossible for me to control it without support. Im 20 yrs deep and spiraling out of control but I am going to try again, and again. I dont know how long i can go or if i can make it but my goal is to not drink this week. I want to change, I want my life back, I want to be free from this burden that i have carried way too long.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Josh. Nice to see you here. Good luck I'm sure you can do this!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Josh

If you're willing to give it everything you have and prepared to do whatever it takes in terms of finding support and making changes you can not only stay sober this week but you can stay sober for good too

do you have a plan?

D
Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi joshua78418. I was once where you are now...most of us were. I drank for 25 years, and by the end it was every single day without fail for years. But I managed to quit a little over 13 months ago. It can be done!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome back Joshua!
Don't forecast beyond 24 hrs coz tomm is not promised to anyone; simply tell yourself everyday that you haven't quit drinking just not today! Pretty soon time will accumulate on its own
Do you have a plan drawn out for eg hitting some meetings everyday & getting group of guys in network that you can call anytime or sponsor?
You can do it
Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been just where you are. Please hang in there and keep reading and posting. Eat the best food you can afford and drink lots of water. Try and occupy your mind with comedy or anything you enjoy. The worst of it will pass, don't expect miracles to soon but enjoy the small improvements in your life you didn't expect, like sleeping better and not being hungover. All the best.xx
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Joshua, I empathise, i'm on day 1 today ...again... I wish I could mange a few days ...never mind a week. I have a plan .. im going to my first AA meeting (well in years) today. I wish you well
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hi there Josh

hang in there mate....you can do for one hour what would seem impossible....then do it again the next hour.....if need be you can always break it down to minutes, even seconds.

lean into us my friend....we are indeed here for you

v
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought I would never ever be able to stop. I just relapsed over and over and over.
I was so desperate and unwell I did what it took.
gave up my job, lived off my credit card, stayed out of town with my brother for 10 weeks, got help.... I don't know how people just stop in their normal environment, I couldn't.
Find your way to make it work for you..... do not lose hope
I am living proof that people who nearly died drinking can get sober and live well
Good luck
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You don't have to drink today. Take it one minute at a time if you have too. I reached out for help and got to an AA meeting. It worked for me. I went to a meeting, got some phone numbers, asked some one to be my sponsor. What ever it takes. You have to really want it.
I wish you peace!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Josh!

You can do this! What action will you take today to stay sober?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Cheering for you Josh! Think how good you'll feel.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. Hang in there but have a plan. If you detox but then go on with your days the same as before you are likely to repeat the same patterns leading to the drinking. Find sober support. AA, treatment, therapy, here...whatever can help you.

Be well.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

If your desire to stop drinking is stronger than your desire to drink, you can succeed. What do you have in mind to help you stay sober? Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Joshua, you can do this. I found that taking things one day at a time really helped me initially. Before i knew it the weeks and months started to add up. Having a support system and a recovery plan in place is a really good idea. SR is an excellent resource too. Best wishes.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You can do it
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the kind responses and show of support. It was very encouraging. My plan for today is keep my mind busy and explore this site a little more, try to think and stay positive, and just focus on today. Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Josh. We are here to support you in the best manner possible. Keeping busy is one of the key things for sure! One day at a time.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When you wake up every morning, try praying that you will not touch alcohol for that DAY. At the end of the day, pray and thank (whatever you want to put here) that you did not drink that day. Twenty four hours at a time is a more manageable amount. You'll have a week before you know it.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You can do this. We have all been exactly where you are. Each day gets a little better. I'm enjoying sleeping all night with out waking up dehydrated and groggy. Once you see little rewards, you will have more determination to change. Stay strong my friend. You can do it!!!