Notices

Feel like I'm breaking down

Old 12-15-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Feel like I'm breaking down

The cravings are so bad. I'm on day 27 and I want wine so bad. I think I would have already caved if I didn't think everyone would be disappointed in me. The main thought floating around my head is.. I'm not really THAT bad. It was the pills (xanax, vicodin) that were making me insane, not the alcohol. Why can't I just have a glass or two of wine to unwind? (It never stops at that). How can I make these voices go away? I'm so low energy and depressed right now. I just want this to pass and I want the cravings to go away.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suekie View Post
The cravings are so bad. I'm on day 27 and I want wine so bad. I think I would have already caved if I didn't think everyone would be disappointed in me. The main thought floating around my head is.. I'm not really THAT bad. It was the pills (xanax, vicodin) that were making me insane, not the alcohol. Why can't I just have a glass or two of wine to unwind? (It never stops at that). How can I make these voices go away? I'm so low energy and depressed right now. I just want this to pass and I want the cravings to go away.
hang in Suekie. the craving will pass. try to take your mind off it. eat something sweet, it will pass.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I always recommend eating a big bowl of ice cream. That always got rid of my cravings and I've seen several other people say the same. Give it a try?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

did you read this link Suekie?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

lots of tips and techniques there.

Outside of that, I think the more support you have the better - if you're finding SR is not quite enough support, I'd encourage you to look for other support avenues in your life - support groups, counselling, outpatient rehab programmes etc.

Also look at your daily routine - I spent a lot of weeks doing what I used to do drinking - mainly sitting around at home.
What was fine for drunk me was not fine for sober me.,

If you also find you're still doing the same old things, maybe it's time to change that up?
If you have the time, volunteering was a great thing for me - really got me out of my own head.

If you find yourself stressed and depressed and nothing seems to be shifting it, maybe a visit to the Dr might help?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time. The cravings will diminish in intensity and after a while you'll barely notice them.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to talk myself in to believing that drinking wine was necessary for me to REALLY relax. The reality is that the wine didn't relax me. Drinking caused the craving to disappear and what was left was my BELIEF that I was FINALLY able to relax. The REALITY for me was that wine did everything except relax me. Drinking caused chaos in my life. Every. Single. Time.

Cravings suck but you HAVE to get through them in order to have this sobriety thing get easier for you. And it will. You just have to get some weeks/months under your belt. You are on your way. Don't give up!!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can you go for a nice long walk?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with the others Suekie - the cravings will definitely lessen. Drinking was my whole world once - and for many years - but it barely crosses my mind now. You will get there.

I'm glad you wanted to talk about it. You are not alone.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Suekie - you can do it... I'm no pro at this, but keeping busy and breaking the old routine seem to help me. Find something else that is fun to do and take your mind off having a drink.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It does get better
Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Suekie,
When I had days like that in the beginning, I just went to bed.
I went to bed early a lot in the beginning.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I always recommend eating a big bowl of ice cream. That always got rid of my cravings and I've seen several other people say the same. Give it a try?
Another thumbs up for ice cream. About 2/3 of the way through an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's and you'll notice those cravings are no longer as severe.

So I've been told.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sukie, I'm sorry you are in a low state. That voice telling us we are okay is aweful. I've really been dealing with the same voice, same echos of, "you're okay." Like you said, I'm not. The romance of unwinding is false. Hang in there. We always say it, and you know it, but it'll pass.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Thank you all.

Usually Sunday night I'm proud of myself of making it through another weekend and ready to face the week ahead. I'm having a pity party for myself right now and can't stop thinking about all of my problems..all of my fears for the future.. and all of my regrets in the past. I'm in a bad place right now. I hope it passes soon because I don't know how to deal. I honestly feel like I'm bi-polar or something with the way my moods have been. I just want to give up.

Thank you for all of you positive posts and advice. It does help. I'm just not in a good place right now.

Hopefully the work week will get my mind of how crappy I feel, and how scared I feel. Last weekend I was on top of the world. This weekend I'm on the bottom.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You will feel way more crappy and scared if you end up back where you were 27 days ago... And I also say get yourself some ice cream ... It seems to help me! I ate a half gallon of cookies and cream last night and it did the trick!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suekie View Post
Thank you all. Usually Sunday night I'm proud of myself of making it through another weekend and ready to face the week ahead. I'm having a pity party for myself right now and can't stop thinking about all of my problems..all of my fears for the future.. and all of my regrets in the past. I'm in a bad place right now. I hope it passes soon because I don't know how to deal. I honestly feel like I'm bi-polar or something with the way my moods have been. I just want to give up. Thank you for all of you positive posts and advice. It does help. I'm just not in a good place right now. Hopefully the work week will get my mind of how crappy I feel, and how scared I feel. Last weekend I was on top of the world. This weekend I'm on the bottom.
Suekie- I want to assure you that what you are going through is normal. your brain is readjusting to not having the alcohol. it will get better, it really will. Try to separate yourself from the emotions- acknowledge the feelings but keep telling yourself "I am not this feeling". please hang in.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I always say you have to sometimes sit in the sh!t of life in order to move thru it. Not much help I know...just words but I truly believe it. Sit in it, feel it, be grateful for it because it will eventually take you to a better place. When (notice I didn't say "if"?) you come thru on the other side you'll be so much stronger because of it.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang on tight Suekie. You are succeeding in your goal. Do not forget that. think back to 27 days ago and where you were at, why you reached out, why you wanted to stop. Those reasons are still there, it is just hard to remember them when the pain isn't current. NEVER forget! I have stopped drinking many times and the thing that always got me back to it was some BS excuse.... and it ALWAYS lead me back to where I fought so hard to get away from, and left me wanting to be where I was before I gave into the BS thoughts.

It is just one evening. It is just a night of negative thoughts. It will pass if you let it.

never forget where you have come from. never. Once you do you will remember very soon and you will be sad. For me it is be sad now, or be sad later and starting the struggle all over again.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang on. It will pass.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Suekie, I hope you're feeling better today. When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me "Things will look better in the morning" when I was upset or depressed in the evening. Usually they did. In the evening is when the boogeymen of fear, regret and worry come out to play. At least for me.
I heartily endorse ice cream as a craving buster. The sugar helps your body's craving for the sugar it used to get from alcohol. The little kid in you will be comforted by eating something fun and a lot of it.

If by chance ice cream is not your thing, I find that herbal relaxing teas with a healthy shot of sugar or honey, along with some cookies, do the trick. Sometimes cheese and crackers will do. I let myself eat what I like during those times, even leftover pasta or pizza. My guess is with heavy drinking one's body gets used to having a lot of sugar in the evening, and without it we have an alcohol and sugar withdrawal - So carbs will smooth you out, raise your blood sugar levels to a point where you can hang in until bedtime and then tomorrow is another day, as Scarlett O'Hara used to say.
I wish you well.