Notices

perspective and gratitude

Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

perspective and gratitude

Last night my sister came over and hit it hard. She got absolutely hammered, came onto my boyfriend, picked various fights with me and others, and eventually passed out in the snow and we had to physically carry her into the guest room to sleep it off. Then to top off the evening at some point she woke up and snuck back out to drive herself home and got a DUI after she ran a stop sign.

I find myself judging her pretty harshly, but it's so easy to forget that those are all things I would have done (or did do) just a short while ago. A year ago at a Christmas party I got so wasted I behaved pretty much exactly the same way. I didn't get a DUI but I did come to out of a blackout wandering a snowy street without shoes or a coat trying to figure out where the hell I was and hail a cab at 3am. For weeks after that every night I would tell my boyfriend I had to go back to the office for something and go sit at my desk in the dark and drink until I passed out, wake up in the middle of the night and go back home and crawl into bed, wake up, repeat. It took several more months to finally put the brakes on the runaway train that was my life, but I have a little under four months sober now and I am beyond grateful.

I know there isn't much I can do for my sister or anyone else who is still going through the hell of active drinking other than tell her that it is so worth it, that even after just a few months things have changed so much for me and even though I still have a lot of work to do and a lot of messes to clean up, I feel a sense of ease and well-being and possibility that I haven't felt in many years. I wish that feeling for everyone who is struggling.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome inthetrees
congrats on your year.

just curious - have you ever tried talking with your sister about her drinking?

D
Old 12-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
just curious - have you ever tried talking with your sister about her drinking?D
Curious as well.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have tried, but she doesn't think she has a problem and doesn't want to stop, just admits she overdoes it now and then. We're not super close and I'm working pretty hard to keep my own side of the street clean, as they say...
Old 12-15-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your four months sober.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR inthetrees x
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are here. I hope she finds her way. She has you as inspiration for the sober life
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Inthetrees - try and talk to her. I am sure others (I know I did) also said they didn't have a problem and only after years are admitting now. I recommend discussing but not scolding her. Congrats on your year!!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I loved what you shared. Great job on your sobriety. Sometimes just living the solution will bring others around by attraction.