Notices

My brother respects me again!

Old 12-14-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking My brother respects me again!

Been sober since July and tonight has been a great night. Went to a meeting, served brews etc. I then got a txt saying that my brother had broken his toe so after I went to see him at his house and he is off work for 4weeks.
Turned up at his and his mates were. They are not problematic drinkers, just tipsy on a Saturday night on mulled wine. I was offered an alcoholic drink but said no and just had a lemonade.
My brother said he was fine and just needed to rest his foot. I mentioned to him for the first time that I had stoppped drinking and going to meetings. He has seen me in some right states in the past. We have not had a proper conversation in ages.
He then sent me a txt after saying I looked a lot more healthy and was pleased i am sober and told me to keep it up which meant a lot.
I feel relationships improve with time and he seems a lot more relaxed and willing to have a conversation with me.
I think making amends is not just about saying "sorry", I have said "sorry" many times in the past! Relationships, respect and trust improve with time. Does anyone else feel this as well?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely, I agree.

Making amends is, I think, much more than saying sorry. When I was drinking, I let my daughter down and I lost her respect completely. I have, for the last 13 years, made every effort to never do that again, for any reason. She depends on me. When she had her first child, I was the person she chose to leave him with the first time she had to go out.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I agree and also have a brother that is waiting for me to get on track. We had an argument during one of my drinking binges and next day I told him I was sorry but sorry was not enough anymore.
Told him I would walk the talk finally and we could talk when I have 6 months.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I lost my kids' respect and it took a while to earn it back. But they respect me now and it sure feels good to have that.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's amazing how people start to respect you again once you start to respect yourself.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So happy for you! It is the best feeling to have trust and respect from your family and friends again!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've quietly earned the respect of colleagues and family by conducting myself with sober integrity…..feels good
Old 12-15-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes it does happen a lot. People would rather see you become well than listen to a load of sorrys.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally agree! Living the program is a kind of amends that will far outshine a simple apology.
Thanks for sharing!