Notices

Cant stop this time for some reason?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant stop this time for some reason?

I just cant seem to stop drinking. I can go almost a whole day without drinking and then bam i go and buy alcohol. I really wanted to stop on friday but didnt then today i went gym ate healthily then arsenal lost and i thought. ''OH WELL NEVERMIND ILL JUST START TOMMOROW. Im getting scared because before i use to just be able to stop and go periods without itt now i cant even get to 3 days, its like this monster is progressing each day and evolving so that it can match my defences and take me down. It reallly is horrible as all of u know, Tonight i feel like a right scumbag
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you checked out any programs? AA or a rehab for inpatient treatment? Or private counseling? Sounds like you might need a little extra help this time. I'm glad you posted, maybe someone will have better advice for you.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism is progressive for sure Bradley. I started as a weekend binger and ended up an all day everyday drinker.

What have you been doing for your recovery?
what things have you tried to help you stop?

D
Old 12-14-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear ya. I just went one day with no alcohol (hungover smoking weed in bed instead) and today I woke up feeling good, had a workout, cleaned my house, went to get fresh groceries and also came back with alcohol.
As soon as I buy it I think about giving up again.
Weird
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Bradley. Something I've noticed is that it seems to speed up on all fronts the further along I went. There was less reprieve, less rebound, less predictability…everything sort of accelerated. In all honesty I thought the therapist I was seeing was overreacting when she suggested inpatient rehab. The longer I am sober the more the progression of alcoholism scares me.

It isn't easy, especially early on. I think sticking closely with other people who are in the same mindset will help bolster your efforts, why not use the momentum of a group of people who understand you? You seemed to indicate it so clearly, it gets harder and harder, and you will never be better equipped that you are today.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is there anyone, family, relative or friend
that you are aware of that is in recovery?

Sometimes, after the fog has cleared, we
realize that there was someone we know
or have known for a long time that is in
recovery and it just never clicked in our
minds. These people could have been
there all along just waiting for you to
call and ask for help.

They will gladly help you and guide
you as you begin ur journey in recovery.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Alcoholism is progressive for sure Bradley. I started as a weekend binger and ended up an all day everyday drinker.

What have you been doing for your recovery?
what things have you tried to help you stop?

D
In the past it has been exercise , exercise and more exercise, eating healthy foods etc, i went to aa once it was very powerful i just didnt go back, i mean going aa dosnt mean i wont drink if i really want too. i dont know whats wrong with me
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

maybe you're an alcoholic like me Bradley?
I had to do whatever positive steps it took for me not to drink.

Going to a support group like AA (or one of the alternatives) won't stop you drinking again if you want to sure....

but face to face support like that may help you stop wanting to...if you give it a chance?

D
Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ho and that little voice saying, just today I'll stop tomorrow is your addiction speaking, I mean lying to you.

I'm 6 days sober, it took me months to finally say enough is enough. I remember last Saturday, thinking why don't I just quit? Then my addictive voice was saying why not wait for new year to clean up??

That's when I realized I would never stop if not NOW!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
maybe you're an alcoholic like me Bradley?
I had to do whatever positive steps it took for me not to drink.

Going to a support group like AA (or one of the alternatives) won't stop you drinking again if you want to sure....

but face to face support like that may help you stop wanting to...if you give it a chance?

D
Yeah i see what youre saying. when i heard some of the storys from the aa group it did make me really want to quit, its just so hard to stop and it seems like it will only get harder the longer i put it off. Its weird because in february i went 92 days without it and it didnt seem to bad, now im making any old excuse. Im just scared because if you drink when youre heart and soul dont want it what the hell is going on??
Old 12-14-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Bradley. I've been there. One thing that is interesting is that triggers, or what scientists call cues, actually release a spurt of dopamine in the brain (research done by Dr Children's). This is why some people may go all day without feeling they need to use and then all the sudden they feel that seductive pull urging them to use.

I know that taking my mind off of using, and trying to redirect my attention when intrusive thoughts to use pop into my mind really helps. It is very difficult to be in the same surroundings that trigger you, without "giving in." I suggest focus on building a whole new life. This helped me.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

We all wonder why what used to work doesn't work anymore.

I think we just have to accept it. We change.

I really believe alcohol is progressive and that once we cross that invisible line we can never go back to where we used to be.

It's like wading out into the ocean bradley - splash about the shallows and everything is more or less under your control...spend too much time there tho and the tide comes in or you wade out too deep... and you're likely to get caught in a rift that takes you into unfamiliar water and tries to pull you down.

If you want to stop, then maybe its time to get some 'lifeguard' help - whether be a recovery group, your Dr, counselling, rehab, or something else?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bradley26 View Post
Im just scared because if you drink when youre heart and soul dont want it what the hell is going on??
You've probably drank and told yourself you liked drinking, it was something you chose. It's progressed to needing it. Big difference. Drinking when you don't want to drink, not being able to quit when you want to quit.

Alcohol addiction. Treat it accordingly.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Three days isn't enough time for your brain and body to recover. Your brain and body still want to drink and it's hard (more often impossible) to say no.

And you can't quit by willpower alone. You need support. Talk to your GP. AA and self help just weren't enough for me. I've finally found a doctor who understands, cares and he has been amazing with what he's done so far and referred me for. Your GP will know a lot of things you can do and what resources you can access.

AA and other groups are amazing but not for everyone. There are a lot of options and you aren't alone. You have more to lose by not exploring the options.

And of course, SR is an amazing resource so I'm glad you're here!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted. Clearly, you're experiencing the progression of the disease. It doesn't rest, ever, unless you stop drinking. And, it will do everything it can to keep you drinking. Yes, it's hard to stop, but you can do it. We're here to support you.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you posted. Clearly, you're experiencing the progression of the disease. It doesn't rest, ever, unless you stop drinking. And, it will do everything it can to keep you drinking. Yes, it's hard to stop, but you can do it. We're here to support you.
I think youre right ,i have noticed even if it is a recent progression over the last 4 years. I never use to have night sweats if i didnt have a drink 4 days after the last one, but now i do. Obviously it can only get worse, as in full blown physical addiction. I suppose all we can do is try our best and keep coming back here whether we succeed or i hate the word fail but u know what i mean.x