A glimmer of hope...

Old 12-14-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A glimmer of hope...

I had big plans to talk to AH last night once the kids were in bed. Unfortunately, he ended up going out for a few beers before coming home and then polished off half a bottle of wine before the kids were even in pj's. I was at my wits end and he knew it. I try to avoid talking about the drinking when he's drinking, but there comes a point when there is no other option! Once they were in bed he asked me what was wrong. Usually the conversation is around him needing to cut down on the amount, but this time I just came right out with it and told him he needed to stop. I told him it was obviously an all or nothing with him, and that all wasn't working. He went through as many reactions as humanly possible, poured himself (and chugged back) several vodka sodas and then tearfully asked me what would happen if he didn't stop. This is the first time he's acknowledged that there will be consequences (beyond those he experiences personally). Because he'd had so much to drink by that point I didn't get into a discussion about me leaving. I told him he could stop and that he needs to go to AA. Big step for me! I've always been terrified to suggest he needed AA. He seemed open to it, but the conversation ended there. He's been quiet all day, so I know he remembers the conversation and is thinking about it. We'll see. But if nothing else, I'm proud of myself for finally having the courage to be blunt about what's going on
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck - wishing you all the happiness in the world.
You are right to avoid a discussion when he has had that much to drink.