No Christmas Presents

Old 12-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Christmas Presents

I've decided that I'm not buying anything for AH for Christmas. He's been a jerk of monumental proportions this year. I love Christmas and gift giving but why would I give him a gift?! I love him yes, and I hope he helps himself so that our marriage has a chance. Am I the only grinch?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

maybe. but only maybe. I would say an AA Big Book if he does not have one.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

are you trying to punish him? what's your motivation?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Has it already. If I could figure out how to put a kick in the ass in his stocking, that's what he would get from me.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Motivation is acknowledging that he's a jerk to me. I'm not going to pretend that he's been nice to me and buy him gifts. I don't like the addict version of my husband. If he wants to be sober in 2014 then I'll buy him gifts next year.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The consequence of his behavior is that I don't feel compelled to do something special for him. He doesn't care about making me happy and my love and kindness for him isn't unconditional. I feel like I'm standing up for myself.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

so, behavior modification. punishment for misdeeds.

i can't remember your situation, but if you usually give presents and he will be getting you one and you get him nothing, then expect negative feelings/resentments from him and possible negative consequences. i think you guys have a kid together, right? if you are celebrating christmas together with kiddo and not getting him a gift will obviously create a scene, i strongly question you to think about this.

if you are divorcing, splitting up, then i would not get him a gift.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No gift buying from me either. Why spend your energy and time on people that have managed to cause so much pain all year. Last year I felt differently and cant pretend its all good this year.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was going to buy him gifts, like I normally do, but I'm trying to change my behaviors. Normally, I'd think that if I was nice enough to him things would be okay, or if I act like things are okay maybe he'll act like they're okay too. That doesn't work. Things aren't okay. I think pretending like things are okay is enabling him. I would rather focus my gift giving and thoughtfulness on my kids and family and friends who have been so wonderful to me this year, especially those who were so supportive when I had my baby in July and AH was completely selfish.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
punishment for misdeeds.
I'm not going to lie, punishing a drunk feels good. For awhile.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Has it already. If I could figure out how to put a kick in the ass in his stocking, that's what he would get from me.
Ohhh. Okay. I get that one.

Used to be of that mindset, myself. And still slip back towards it.

Maybe for you, a "Let Go and Let God" poster in YOUR stocking?

Here is how I do my would-be ass-kicking, now --

============

Dear God,

Please kick Mrs. Hammer (and Mr. Stung) squarely in the ass towards getting well.

Thank you God.

(ps and maybe Me and Stung, too).

============

He handles His business just fine, and even better when you and I stay out of the way.

Now a little Sing Along?

DROP KICK ME JESUS by BOBBY BARE - YouTube

DROP KICK ME JESUS by BOBBY BARE
Old 12-14-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Has it already.
mkay. A cover for his AA book?

We (daughter and I) "won" a nice cover at our Big Annual AA/Alanon Party Raffle.

Mrs. Hammer stole it as her own before we got home.

Guess that means she like it.

The fancy covers have a double section to hold a 12 and 12 (Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions) book, too, along with a "Chip Window" for putting your Sobriety Chip in.

Some sample pix:

http://images.search.*****.com/searc...big+book+cover
Old 12-14-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ahh yes. revenge and punishment to someone who hurt us can feel good in the short term. long term i am not sure that it helps that much and can sometimes can make matters worse.

i dont think you should get a gift for someone who you don't want to, but your issue really isn't about the gift, right? it is about his crappy behavior? you want him to be nice to you?

not getting a gift for your AH that hurt you will not change his behavior, make him seek sobriety, turn him nice or make him see the light.

if he is expecting something from you, do you think you should talk w him about not exchanging gifts prior to christmas day, so he is not surprised and a potential explosion occurs?
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You guys are really making me think I sound bitter rather than fair or self serving in a good way. How about if I only buy him things that would serve to benefit our children AND him rather than just him. IE: annual membership to local aquarium and zoo?
Old 12-14-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi stung,

i tried behavior modification incentives/punishments with my ex and they NEVER worked to do anything other than give him another reason to drink and blame me. i learned in alanon and therapy not to do behavior modification because it isn't healthy for you and doesn't work on them. someone who knows more about it can explain why, but that is something i learned the hard way years ago.

that sounds like a great idea to do something that benefits the kids and your family as a whole. very positive approach. you are way ahead of where i was back then.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Do what feels authentic. God knows we lose that when we are enmeshed with an addict. Like you, I got tired of pretending.

I like the idea of a modest family gift. How about a membership to the new Exploratorium, or passes to Fairyland? Something fun to take the little ones to.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't believe in giving gifts for the sake of obligation. That being said, if you're doing it from the mindset of withholding a "reward", I don't think that's a good idea.

I didn't get the impression that you were trying to punish him, more that you're just so hurt that giving a gift would feel like a lie because your heart's not behind it. I could be wrong, that's just what I got from your posts.

I wouldn't buy a gift for someone unless I truly wanted to, I hate anything fake.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SoaringSpirits, I tried to take the family to the Exploratorium 2 weeks after I had DD2 and AH somehow got drunk before we left home (I was unaware that he was an alcoholic at this time, I thought he was a bi-polar schizo that was yet undiagnosed because he only drinks in secret) and he ended up jumping out of my car as we were rolling up to a stop light because I am such a "bad person" and he just couldn't "deal" with me anymore. I was shaking when I called my mom because I was worried about how he'd get back home. Stupid me.

I think the exploratorium will be an adventure for the girls and mommy only. SF zoo and Monterey aquarium he can be included in too, but I'd be lying if i said my feelings aren't still hurt about the exploratorium. I just wanted to get out of the house with my family and do something I knew our 2 year old would love and in turn I bawled my eyes out and took care of 2 kids by myself. 2 weeks post c section I wasn't even supposed to be lifting our 2 year old on my own.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh geez, what a nightmare. OK, well, forget the Exploratorium. If you haven't taken the kids to Fairyland yet, do, it's a sweet place for the little ones, and small and easy to go on your own.

I know what you mean about trying to plan family outings, and somehow our A's turn it sour. It's happier and easier to just go without them. For years, I almost regarded myself as a single mother because I wound up doing so much without my AH. He would go along and just take the fun out of things.

So maybe a sweater or tie would be in order, and then you can be done with it. ;-) So sorry you have to go through this when you should feel supported and loved as you are raising babies.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I vote for an ugly Christmas sweater.

My hubby is getting a red zipper hoody. He looks fabulous in red n I couldn't pass it up.