Notices

How much do you think about sobriety?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How much do you think about sobriety?

Personally, it fluctuates day-by-day. On the weekend, when I have much more time to reflect and do recreational activities, I find myself reminding myself to keep at it probably 10-20 times a day. During the work week, I'll think about it whenever faced with scenarios that used to spur me to drink (conversations about going out, discussing weekend plans, etc.)--but on a less frequent basis.

What about you all?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good question.... My quit date was Aug. 9. and I'm finding anticipation of being at obligatory holiday gatherings that have alcohol as something that I think about more so than cravings to drink.. Just basically rehearsing what I'll do in that situation to avoid drinking and the minor worry of being put on the spot. Was at a dinner party last night, didn't drink, and it was refreshing to experience it without feeling awkward about saying "no thank you" to the offer of an alcoholic beverage..
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was still using, I would always dream of the day I would become sober. I think that some "non-addicts" do not realize that many times addicts dream of the day they are sober and have a "normal" life. Having an addiction, especially with drugs or alcohol, takes a lot of work.

It takes alot of work to make sure you have enough of your drug for today, tomorrow, and the next day. It takes a lot of work to hide it from your family members and friends and expend all your resources in obtaining your drug of choice.

This is why, when I was addicted, I dreamed of sobriety all the time, keeping my habit and hiding it from those around me was exhausting.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It was on my mind all the time during the early days of recovery. Now it is not on my mind so much. I don't like to obsess. Of course this forum reminds me, but it's different now. I read all the posts and identify so much and just want to help.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't feel like it's a negative thing to think about drinking, as long as you think of it rationally and you don't actually go ahead and do it. We can't really control whether or not we think of something, but we can control how we process those thoughts and what we do with them. I think about drinking often, but I don't pay much attention to it.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I suppose I rarely go more than a couple hours without it crossing my mind. I'm on here quite a bit, frequently attend meetings, and I'm constantly considering my path of personal development. Beyond that, I have outed myself to everyone close to me, so they bring it up often in conversation. All of the above is generally positive, but I did reach a point a couple weeks back where I was exhausted. I had no inclination to drink, but felt the need to re-engage my life a little more. It's healthy to find a balance, but the first 30-days I needed to focus 24/7 on recovery.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have 5 + yrs. sober and I can honestly say my sobriety is something that I rarely think about anymore. Not drinking is now as much of a part of my daily life as drinking was 5 years ago.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
I have 5 + yrs. sober and I can honestly say my sobriety is something that I rarely think about anymore. Not drinking is now as much of a part of my daily life as drinking was 5 years ago.
I can't wait to be where you are. Thanks for the post. It is awesome that you have reached this milestone. I'm inspired. Thanks again!!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I rarely think about it anymore cause it's just my normal life to be sober now.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, living a life in recovery, means being the best I can be, each and every day. So, I try to focus on positive things I do for myself.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Constantly.

I imagine its because in early sobriety you have to relearn how to do EVERYTHING sober. There are a ton of "firsts" that would have normally been done wasted. So I remain cognizant of my disease almost all of the time.

I also am able to appreciate my sobriety just as frequently.

For example, I'm currently in my office working, and my heart is beating gently and I get periods of profound joy and bliss. I look around at my staff and think what a great bunch of people I am privileged to have in my employ.

I feel gratitude on deep levels now as I don't have to spend my time and energy on metabolizing poison. I can see my present, and my future and I am happy and hopeful. And I'm so SO very grateful to be able to be making a difference in these people lives. And them in mine.

I think about my sobriety constantly.

And no one promised it would be easy, only that it would be worth it.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I think I always have sobriety in the back of my mind but at certain points in the day it creeps to the forefront.

Sometimes when I get into the car to go to work, just before I turn the key I remind myself it's another day.

And before I go to bed I know I've banked another day.

Sometimes when I'm out and about with friends. I went to a work Christmas dinner. We were spending a ton of money and the host came around with free shots. That spurred on me thinking about sobriety for the rest of the dinner and then talking to my colleague about my recovery on the drive home.

It depends but I know certain situations certainly make it pop up more vividly for me.

Natom.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've been in recovery 4.5 years, clean and sober 20 months.

I think about it at least twice a day when I get on here to talk about it. But it's not a big deal on a regular basis. Not an obsession or a worry.

I have time when tough stuff comes up and the idea to drink or drug it away comes up, or when I am in a situation where I used to drink (party or something) so I think about it, but it's not usually a struggle.

I'd say these days it's a struggle maybe one day every few months.

It's like this, even though I get on here and post twice a day...I also have forums for other subjects I am interested in that I regularly post on. And those aren't "issues" either. It's interesting and enlightening to talk about, and I learn stuff...but I don't stay involved because I'm having a problem with it. SR is like that too. It's an issue, but not always a dangerous one. Does that make sense?

It's a regular part of a regular day...like what to make for dinner, what to wear etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I think about it constantly, but that is because I am newly sober. Once I get a sober routine and a handle on my life, I'm sure that I will think about it less.

I plan on going to regular meetings for the rest of my life.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everyday, when I come here to SR and
share my ESH - experiences, strengths
and hopes with others in recovery. When
I read others shares or hear shares in
meetings, the topic or what another says,
gives me something to think about and
how it has or had affected my body, mind
and soul in the past or present.

Sobriety/Recovery is a healthier way of
life and living for me. I owe my sober
life to a program of recovery that has
taught me how to live a healthier,honest,
rewarding, grateful, caring way of life
which has more meaning than before.

I encorperate all that Ive learned over
the years in all my affairs to the best of
my ability and it has become a way of
life for me.

Without this way of life today, id probably
be drunk, crazy or dead.

I like looking to the telephone wires way
up in the sky because they hold a few
birds which indicate to me that they are
having an AA meeting, where 2 or more
birds gather together sharing their own
ESH with each other. Then when there
are more than a few birds, I look at them
as having an AA committee meeting or
with many many many birds together,
I see them as having a HUGE AA Convention.

Everyday I am reminded of the joy and
my purpose in sobriety just by looking up.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Am I having second thoughts?

I guess you'd have to say...

Every second, every minute, every hour of every day.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Every day.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Been thinking about it less and less (Day 100 today) until the last week when the constant postings on Facebook about work Christmas parties etc have been hard to avoid. This year I'd probably take being fast forwarded straight to the 1st January but I am doing all I can to have a plan in place to deal with the festive period sober. I think the hard social occasions and times of year will get easier the longer I remain sober. In so many ways already alcohol is no longer something I associate with my life and hopefully my thought patterns will continue to improve.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think of it when i come here to SR everyday .

I sometimes get reminded about it when people at work chat about going out for beers , when i hear this i only feel huge relief that the fight is over for me , acceptance that it's not for me . I have no questions about alcohol or my sobriety so there is little for me to mull over, if you know the answer to whats one plus one you don't puzzle over it .
I'm glad they are enjoying themselves and will be there if they develop a problem one day . I hope they don't have a problem
Although to me it seems even non alcoholics might have something to learn from someone living a happy sober life and the wisdom and humanity shown by some people in recovery or recovered .

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
It was on my mind all the time during the early days of recovery. Now it is not on my mind so much. I don't like to obsess. Of course this forum reminds me, but it's different now. I read all the posts and identify so much and just want to help.
This and what Leana remarked is where I think I'll eventually be: not drinking will be a natural part of my lifestyle.