Notices

me and AA

Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

me and AA

So, I was told by my therapist that I should attend AA for support. I'm sure this thread is a duplicate, but can anyone give me some insight as to how it's ran and stuff like that?

I'd also like to say i've been sober for 7 days. However, I realize I will relapse without help. Despite having a different view of religion, I believe AA can help me. I am willing to commit to the 12 steps.

I am having intense cravings. I am past the detox part of it, but have an unrelenting craving for alcohol daily.

As far as comments on this post, I'd appreciate reasons to quit, health problems associated with alcoholism, detrimental factors that made you sober up, and obviously AA structure and opinions on them.

Also, detox sucked. My doctor told me "no more librium". I had to detox with only 4 10 mg pills. My withdrawals only last about 48 hours max.

But my "mental withdrawal" lasts daily until I have relapsed. (I'm hoping I can get past some of this with the help from SR blog, therapy and AA.)

SO help me out. Private message me a phone number or email to where i get instant access..

I know it sounds dumb to ask for help, but I cant seem to get past the addiction, and any help would be great.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

instant access to what Justin?

D
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Phone numbers
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

AA is a good place to hear and relate to other alcoholics feelings about drinking and alcohol, even if their story differs from your own.

I go to AA meetings almost daily to remember why I want to stay sober.

I want to stay sober because I was slowly killing myself and I was hurting and alienating people I loved.

I want to stay sober because I was unproductive and I planned my days around drinking and smoking weed and felt chained to my addiction. I have been in the program for 3 months and meetings have been an enormous part of that.

Typically once you start going to meetings, after a while you may find someone who "has what you want" in sobriety and you can ask him (same-sex) to sponsor you.

A sponsor is a person who helps guide you through the twelve steps.

But, first things first! Find a meeting in an area that is close to you or with a demographic you are comfortable around and go to meetings!

I would suggest looking for beginner's meetings. Although many AA "old-timers" attend, beginner's meetings are geared toward those who are new to AA.

You don't have to share if you don't want to, but if you do decide to share and you let people know your situation, they will be very welcoming and helpful.

Good luck!!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't encourage our members to give out their phone numbers, if that's what you mean.
It's for everyones mutual safety. I'm sure you understand the reasoning

there's forums, chats rooms and PMs here for you to get any info you require

D
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
Phone numbers
If you're looking to contact AA, we don't know your location; and most likely all we would do is look in the phone book or do a Google search. I strongly recommend going to the soonest meeting possible.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA but this is a pretty good guide, I'm told

Your First AA Meeting<

If you want stories about how low alcohol can take us our Stories of Recovery forum is a good place to start:

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did any of this help, Justin?

D
Old 12-14-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes it did help. sorry for the slow reply, the wife was out shopping so I had to take care of my little one.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I love AA, the people are so welcoming and you may even be told that you're the most important person in the room for your first visit and you will be. When you go, ask for phone number and then make sure that you use them. Glad you're here.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey justin...

Instant anything is myth. I would say , from my experience , your doctor did the right thing. If you need medical help , go get medical help. SR is not medical help but has supported me in conjunction with other help.

AA has no view on religion from my attendance but is a spiritual program, Its does mention God , of your own understanding, but commits to no particular faith , sect or following.

AA has meetings every day and an easy to find web site with meetings listed. No commitment needed , kick the tires and see if it works.

Best Wishes
Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So I went to my first AA meeting. There were lots of older people in there (I'm 26), but I found they were all very supportive.

I have a sponsor and he encouraged me to call him ANYTIME. To me, it seemed like AA was about people's lives and struggles more than it was about the 12 steps. There was a part of it geared towards me because it was my first AA meeting.

Maybe it's hearing that other people's stories could be worse than our own, or maybe it's because it gets your mind off your own sh!t.

I got a 24 hour coin which I thought was nice.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

look up xa-speakers.org and take a listen to some talks there