Notices

10 months in the books

Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 months in the books

Apparently I haven't been posting in a while and the site wants me to let everyone know how I am doing. Doing good. As the title says 10 months are in the books, quit date was Feb 6, 2013. This was my 3 try at quitting for good (taking breaks not counting) and so far my longest. First try was 4 months, 2nd try was 1 and now, 10. I'm pretty confident in my sobriety, though not naive, I know slipping is as easy as taking a sip of booze. I feel the reason why I'm doing good and had little to no temptations to drink is my acceptance of my condition. I am an alcoholic and like all other alcoholics I must not drink at all. My biggest problem before was that I thought I was different, I thought I was stronger, I thought it was a phase, I thought I cold handle it. Heck my last few months of drinking I tried to regulate my alcoholism, not my drinking because the writing was on the wall at that point but I still could not let go. Drinking was my best friend, it was my coping mechanism, it was my constant. And then it was my enemy, my albatross. So I did what had to be done. Stop. Just stop. And don't look back. Make the change. Sever relationships. See a therapist. Whatever it takes.

Anyways just wanted to let everyone know what was up, if they even did. As the days go on I come here less and less, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. The first few months I was always here and it really did help. The stories of success and failure gave me so much to learn from. I thank you all. And if I don't post anytime I soon I definitely will Feb 6, 2014.

Any other February 2013 sobers out there left? I remember a few names but don't see them very often. Hopefully they are int he same boat as me and hopefully haven't fallen out of the boat.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm 10 months when Santa is here. Ho ho ho :-) well done.
What you doing to help your sobriety mate?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At this stage it's mostly just resolve. During the first few months I just kept looking back at my last year of drinking and the struggles I went through and the rock bottoms I encountered. Seeing a therapist helped to at least talk with someone about it. I went to a AA meeting my first day of sobriety but haven't gone back since, not a fan of people. I've learned to embrace my introverted personality (alcohol was my social lubricant) and "meditate" in my own way. Changed my diet, to the best of my ability. Taken up working out at the gym. Always been an avid cyclist but it's 2 fold now plus other outdoor activities. I don't see a lot of my old friends anymore which is sad but something that just happens, or should to some extent, when you stop.

All I really know is that drinking wasn't what it used to be for me. It changed and I know for a FACT that there is no going back to the good old days. Alcoholism is progressive and knowing that if I go back I will end up where I left off and I don't want to go through that ever again.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*waves* Yep! Hit 10 months back on December 3. Glad to see you still trucking on too
Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I remember you and your story. I had no doubt you where still standing tall. You figured it out hiding in your downstairs bathroom right? I was at a vet's office just 4 days later when it hit me. I stopped abusing Feb 10. but used on May 1st so I can't lay claim to 10 months yet. That's OK still here.
Yup we that was a bad winter we had last year. Almost as bad as our football team this year.
Hi from across the river.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job!!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Now that's what I call a recipe for success. You tailored you own support system, adapted to your personality. Me like a lot!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 MONTHS
You're an inspiration.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

congratulations!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ten months sober!!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 AM