Notices

Looking for advice

Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for advice

Hi, this is my first post and really the first time admitting out allowed that I have an alcohol problem. Although I do not drink all day everyday, I general have at least a drink or two a day and general binge drink a could of times a week. I would say I have about 20+ drinks a week. Not remembering the last few hours of a night is par for he course now.

The issue is I can never have 1 drink. If a bottle wine is open, i want it all. If there is beer in the fridge I will drink it. I find it extremely difficult to not have a drink.

It has affected my life for many years and fuelled other addictions that I have picked up along the way. I am cursed with an extremely addictive personality.

I want to stop being this person. I want to stop needing alcohol and using it as a crutch. Alcohol regularly comes between my wife and I and it is not because she is t-total. I find often that it is only because she asked me not to have another drink that I don't. When she is out I find it very difficult to stop drinking.

I need help to stop drinking, so here I am. How did you stop?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR Lifeafter30 - there's loads of support here
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar. I tried on my own without success. It is through the fellowship of AA that I have found help. Try a meeting, they are all over the world. I have been through treatment before as well. If you do not think you can make it the first 30 days without medical help, treatment might be a good option. Glad you are here. You are not alone!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. I finally stopped drinking when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. I had the help of the good people here and my counselor. I've been sober four years now.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know it is much easier said than done but to state the obvious you just stop drinking alcohol. There are many methods people use but they all need the same end result ie don't let any alcohol pass your lips. Tomorrow will be three months for me and there is no way I could have done it without SR. So the first thing you must do is come here daily and post as much as you can. Secondly I used AVRT . Google it and give it a try, many people on here swear by it and so do I. Thirdly make sobriety your number one focus on a daily basis , it must initially be the most important thing in your day. These are a few things for you to focus on to start with. I am sure you will get many more suggestions from the people here. All the best. You can do this if you REALLY want to.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All starts with a Day 1!! the difficulty is getting through that day, some seek support online or AA meetings, others try writing out a plan that will get them through the day. Creating an alternative life to one consumed with drinking was key for me.

After that it's about stringing days, weeks, months and years together.

But you have to start somewhere!! we're all here for support!!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifeafter30 View Post

I want to stop being this person. I want to stop needing alcohol and using it as a crutch.
Hi Life and welcome!! Thank you for the nice introduction.

I thought those two sentences were important and interesting. I don't believe we can change who we are, and unfortunately, alcoholism, alcohol abuse, whatever you want to call it, is not something that goes away. Most often it progresses, and a lot of us spend years trying to get back to our "old drinking ways"…before the negatives outweighed the positives. I think embracing that aspect of yourself is key to taking action, which is what you so clearly stated in the second sentence.

I can identify with using alcohol as a crutch. It is not easy, but it is doable, and getting educated and finding a support system is the best way to get started on your journey. So it looks like you have begun! It may seem unbelievable, but getting sober is actually a relief….not always, but it feels really good to at least be up front and honest. I forgot how much honesty and respect for myself mattered. Glad you are here, stick around!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Lifeafter30, by the end i desperately wanted to stop drinking and made sobriety and recovery my number one priority. Being honest with my doctor about my drinking and getting a support system in place was vital for me. SR is a wonderful place for support too. It's an important part of recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad you came here and I hope you can find some answers. Lots of ideas and hope here. x