Notices

Going to aa tomorrow. I think..

Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to aa tomorrow. I think..

Slipped again and realize I need to do something different. Found an aa meeting tomorrow at lunch. Thinking I should go. But feel really anxious and nervous. Its like the final straw. I am an alcoholic. And I can fix it on my own. Hard stuff to admit....
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not gone to an AA meeting yet, but the few people I have confided in have told me I cannot quit without AA. I'm on day 18 and not sure if I need AA or not. Please repost if you go and let me know how it goes for you. I know what you mean about hard to admit. It is really a life changing moment to finally admit you are an alcoholic. I feel better now, but I know I have to take it one day at a time. Good luck with the meeting. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Laura,

We all think we can lick it on our own. For most of us that doesn't work so well. For me other support is crucial. I am sorry you slipped. It happens. Just keep coming back but trying something different. A meeting might be the something different. It is worth at least a try. It is one hour of your life. Most people are nervous going for the first time. Go a little bit early. You can sit in the back if you'd like. You don't have to talk. Sometimes listening to others helps too. Knowing you aren't alone. SR is great. I come here often but being with others, in person, puts a face to the support.

Let us know how you are doing. Hang in there. You can do this. You want it. You know that you want it and that is saying a lot.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It becomes a place you can really relax if you let it, Laura. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Laura, if you don't feel like you can do it on your own then trying something different is a great idea. I'm not currently in AA but i have been to meetings to listen and i was always made to feel welcome and supported. If you don't like it you always try something else. Best wishes.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Laura. As mentioned you don't have to say or do anything. Many at first only state their first name and depending on the type of meeting, just say I pass. Getting and staying sober is a lifelong process and has it's bumps along the road but it's a learning process on how to get sober and live sober which results in us being comfortable in our own skin.
I think once your at the meeting a lot of anxiety will lessen as everyone is there for the same reason, staying sober.

BE WELL
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I owe it to my kids to go. To try anything. As much as I lover SR some live people would be nice. Just afraid they are amm 30 years sober and very old and hard for me to relate to.
  # 8 (permalink)  

Action in recovery is important. I procrastinated
like many others for a long time in many areas
of my life which got me no wheres. No positive
results.

Don't put off today, for tomorrow may never
come.

Coming here to SR is one of my lifelines I
hold on to, hang on to, even with 23 yrs
sobriety. I learned in early recovery, after
my 28 days In rehab, learning about my
addiction to alcohol, its affects on my
body, mind and soul, that I was givin many
important tools and knowledge that I
could incorporate in my everyday life
once my journey in recovery began.

Whatever it takes to remain sober one
day at a time. If it meant getting my
butt to a meeting to not drink, I did
it. If I needed to call some one to help
me, to listen to me, to meet with me,
I did it. I was not safe or secured alone
with myself, so I learned to ask for
whatever I needed even if I was afraid
to.

I was scared, but, I learned that staying
sober meant everything to me and that
it was that important to go to any lengths
If I had to and wanted stay sober.

I often reminded myself that if I could
go out in storming weather, flooded streets
to get to my poison, then I could and would
get to my save haven to remain sober.

Today, I won't rest on my laurals, my own
will, to keep me from drinking, because my
will never worked. It's the tools and knowledge
and Faith that help me stay sober, happy
and most of all honest in all my affairs.

Whatever it takes is my experiences, strengths
and hopes I pass on to others struggling with
addiction.
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found the meetings helpful early on. I still pop in occasionally to to say hi.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
I think I owe it to my kids to go. To try anything. As much as I lover SR some live people would be nice. Just afraid they are amm 30 years sober and very old and hard for me to relate to.
That's what I thought and I was surprised at how many people were in the 3 month range or less. Give it a try, it can't hurt.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Laura I go to AA and use SR, AA really has changed my life doing the 12 step program of recovery. Keep an open mind and try to get to a few meetings. Good Luck xx
Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can not explain enough how much AA has changed my life, honestly. Just yesterday my regular Wednesday meeting had a Christmas Party/meeting and I looked around the room in awe at the amount of smiles, positive attitudes and support. I was overcome with emotion and so grateful.

I know I couldn't stay sober without the fellowship and support of AA. If you don't want to talk at a meeting, it is perfectly fine to just say "pass" or "I am just going to listen today." What do you have to lose? :-) Let us know how it went if you decide to go.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You may find amazing things going on in that room Laura. I've only been to a few meetings in the last week, and there is huge range of experience in the group. Regardless of how long they have been sober, 30 hours or 30 years, they have all been exactly where you are now, so in that sense, everyone can relate. At the last meeting, there was an "oldtimer" speaking ... I don't know how many decades of sobriety he has under his belt (lots) and he was speaking (totally off-topic) but looking directly at me as he was talking. It was like he was reading my mind .... talking about reaching out for support when we are in a bad way ... this the day after I was struggling hard to not drink because I was holed up in my house, lonely and bored (which is why I went to the meeting). I hadn't even opened my mouth yet so he had no idea what went on the previous day, but it was like somehow he knew. It was bizarre. The topic was actually spiritual experiences, and while I am struggle with that concept, I believe I had a little one right then and there.
I go to the meetings and I come here to SR ... I take what I need and leave the rest. Good luck with the meeting, keep us posted!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hokey View Post
I take what I need and leave the rest.
This is very important to remember. It can all seem overwhelming in the beginning.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA saved my life and continues to be key in my recovery
Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news you are going to a meeting.

It is the programme of recovery that keeps me sober,I love the meetings as well,you will meet people you can call on 24/7.SR is good but nothing beats talking face to face with another Alcoholic in recovery.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love going to meetings. I have to get out of myself, because I am the one who got me where I am today! If you want to learn how to stay sober, AA has been helping alcoholics since for a stretch now, it works.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by girlsearching View Post
I have not gone to an AA meeting yet, but the few people I have confided in have told me I cannot quit without AA. I'm on day 18 and not sure if I need AA or not.
This is a very subjective area. I know for me that I could not quit without AA, but I don't believe this is true for everyone. I could not quit without AA because I needed something meaningful to fill the void that abstinence left me with, and the solution is living well. More than "quitting," AA helped me to do the work required for me to live a much better life, one that I never imagined was in my reach.

The AA Big Book never tells us not to drink, and is largely not a guide around how to stop drinking. It's a textbook that helps us to live better lives, and we learn to do so from others who've been through the process.

AA is not for the faint of heart or the closed of mind, but in my experience, by the time you've been through the process, things like courage, perseverance and resourcefulness are no longer the issues that they once may have been.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

And I can't fix it on my own. Hard stuff to admit....
It is hard to admit Laura but I'm glad you're looking at all your options
do follow through - reaching out for help can make things so much easier

D
Old 12-13-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don' know if this is progress...I went but didn't go inside. Or I tried but I got lost and anxious and waited outside. Didn't see any people but heard choir practice. Felt very lost. A guy came out and looked around but I just froze and didn't dare to say what I was looking for. Now I regret it badly..