Smell of beer

Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know if this bugs anyone else- but alcoholism or not- smelling booze on my partner every time I'm around him is starting to make me nauseated. Even if he was not an alcoholic- and had 1 beer a night I'd just get sick of smelling it on him period. Tonight he came over for dinner, needless to say smelling like my favorite: beer. Not drunk and had only 1 or two. i was in a funny mood and when I hugged him I said: "is that your new beer cologne I'm smelling?" Lol. Usually if I say a word it's immediate anger. That got a laugh or two. Lol to be honest it is like a cologne that someone wears everyday except it is the smell of beer! Not pretty and I wouldn't want to smell like that every day! It caught him off guard and he just said I was being a little comedian, lol and he couldn't help but laugh about it and say- I know.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my bedroom this morning ...after AW passed out in it at 4am smelt like a tramp! literally....it was vile.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't like that smell, whether I am drinking or not, I just don't like it.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, and once the alcoholism sets in, the smell eventually warps into this foul, rotten death smell that is just gross. The way our bedroom smells when I wake up every morning is just putrid. Bleh.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh Yes!! As someone with 4.5 months sobriety, the smell of alcohol on my ABF is awful. On the way to Thanksgiving dinner, after his overnight bender and subsequent somewhat sobering up in the morning, the smell of alcohol emanating from him when he breathed caused me to turn the air vents up to high.

And now, because I can smell it, I can tell he's still drinking daily although not to the point where he's stumbling around or slurring his words - and even though he went to AA on Saturday morning.

I even can tell the difference in what he's drinking - Southern Comfort or vodka. Both smell horrid, but Southern Comfort is worse.

Ack! The small benefit is that it does help keep my own sobriety intact.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep yep, I know the odor all too well. I once told my husband he really needed to quit drinking because he smelled just awful even after a shower it comes through his pores and I couldn't believe other people didn't notice it. He had already heard me complain about the smell of whiskey so he equated it with whiskey alone and promptly started buying vodka, it's odorless ya know. Insert giant eyeroll here, the craziness that comes with their thinking.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can smell a beer a mile away. I HATE it. Gross. It always makes me laugh if he denies drinking, obviously he does not realize what a distinct smell it gives off.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The worst is when on a crowded train with people who have just had a drink after work and they reek of beer, gin, wine etc. The smell really puts me off alcohol even more !
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The smell of beer or wine I don't mind, (OT: I don't think it's fair that I should never be allowed to drink again because stupid ass AH can't control himself. *I* like wine tasting and I sure as hell plan on having champagne on NYEs in the future and when my daughters' having their wedding in 20+ years. AH either won't be in the picture ir he'll have to lwarn to control his urges.) but if I ever have to smell the stench of alcohol seeping out of someone's pores again, it'll be far too soon. The stink on AH after he drinks literally makes me have a physical gag reflex. It's vomit inducing. Barf.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fairly certain that smell only occurs with heavy/regular drinking.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If it bothers you now...

I've always hated the smell of alcohol, even when I drank... My rah had been sober just over a yr, I was almost embarrassed by him and terrified to take him anywhere of importance, especially court. It does seep through their pores after time, he was over a 30pk a day when he quit.

A yr later and I can say I do not miss that smell! We went to see Danzig, his favorite and my very first concert at 30yrs old. We were both stoked. After a while that smell was unmistakeable but thank god it wasn't him. I was in an air plane hanger full of very intoxicated metal heads so not only was it on their breath but all over the floor! I'm pretty sure it will never stop being repulsive.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hate it when the whole bedroom just reeked of fowl stinky beer breath- I would wake up and spray Febreeze all over Ah and the room - he was too drunk to wake up. Makes me sick sick sick. Now my room smells of clean linen and fresh air and doggy breath. Love that!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redheadsusie View Post
I hate it when the whole bedroom just reeked of fowl stinky beer breath!
Yes! The bedroom just smells. Ugh hate it.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

The local bottom-of-the-barrel A's all go to Dollar Tree here for their nutritionally void frozen burritos and such. I always have to hold my breath while walking through that section if the store. There's "I just had a beer with the guys from work" and there's "I knock back a case at least five nights a week." Two totally different smells. Live around an A long enough and the latter becomes unmistakable. Told ya, I can pick one out at 15 feet. I smell em before I see em.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
The local bottom-of-the-barrel A's all go to Dollar Tree here for their nutritionally void frozen burritos and such. I always have to hold my breath while walking through that section if the store. There's "I just had a beer with the guys from work" and there's "I knock back a case at least five nights a week." Two totally different smells. Live around an A long enough and the latter becomes unmistakable. Told ya, I can pick one out at 15 feet. I smell em before I see em.

There is a difference? I have been with him awhile and I can only describe it as the smell of alcohol on him- not necessarily breath but in general. I wondered how people don't smell it on him when he goes to work in the morning- he has numerous tricks he uses to conceal the smell. Mouthwash- gum- "eat something" the advice he once gave me... Came from a pro! Lol. I just always smell alcohol. Can't decipher if it's an alcoholic or just a drinking person who is normal.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hatehatehate every single variation on That Smell, from the little Just-had-one-glass-of-wine odor all the way up to the double barrel Been-drinking-and-puking-gin-for-64-straight-days stench. And not just with the AH either. I used to be faintly amused by the first and just made fun of the second, but now either of them makes me feel instant, disproportionate rage no matter who is stinking up the joint. (I know, really must work on that because it isn't a very productive response.)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a coworker (don't we all?) who comes in smelling... yeah y'all know I don't have to describe it for you.

It's vile for anyone who have to be around. Us folks who have lived with drunks? Don't suffer it easily, do we? Yuck.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yup! I remember coming home from work, many times, to AH passed out on the couch and my tiny living room wreaking of second hand tequila oozing from his pores. Ugh! Gross! It makes me nauseous just thinking about it.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ugh, so grateful for this thread! After a fantastic AA meeting and an equally fantastic meeting-after-the-meeting I just came home to That Smell. It's still in its fresh phase, husband's still conscious and wine glass is about to be refilled. But overnight it goes into its metabolizing phase, and that's when the real putrification begins! Maybe he'll sleep on the couch!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by bird13 View Post
Don't know if this bugs anyone else- but alcoholism or not- smelling booze on my partner every time I'm around him is starting to make me nauseated. Even if he was not an alcoholic- and had 1 beer a night I'd just get sick of smelling it on him period. Tonight he came over for dinner, needless to say smelling like my favorite: beer. Not drunk and had only 1 or two. i was in a funny mood and when I hugged him I said: "is that your new beer cologne I'm smelling?" Lol. Usually if I say a word it's immediate anger. That got a laugh or two. Lol to be honest it is like a cologne that someone wears everyday except it is the smell of beer! Not pretty and I wouldn't want to smell like that every day! It caught him off guard and he just said I was being a little comedian, lol and he couldn't help but laugh about it and say- I know.
Get shot quick, unless you want a life of it.