Notices

Must and will quit

Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Must and will quit

First of all, is the registration form designed to repel people who are drunk??

That thing where you have to figure out the words and type them in is damn difficult when you can't see straight.

I've lost my girl, my future, everything to wine. Just wine. I'd drink something else if available, but I'm addicted to wine.

Right now I'm drinking my second bottle. It's usually at least 2 bottles each night. Scary thing is, after 2 bottles I can still function perfectly. And have no hangover. After that I do get incoherent and do get a hangover.

It needs to stop. Tonight it's a two bottle night and then I'll sleep it off. Tomorrow it'll be just normal drinking from then on.

Btw, this has been going on for 5+ years. I'm just going to go back to normal drinking behavior like before it became a problem.

Any tips?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am flattered by the zero views and responses! On such a busy forum.

Yes, I am feeling angry. At my addiction. And am probably taking it out on you.

Ramblings of a drunk...
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello. I'm listening. God, I sound like Frasier Crane
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well you are admitting that alcohol is getting to be a problem so that's a start. Most people who over drink for very long have a hard if not impossible time trying to drink in moderation. Not saying you can't drink in moderation but it sounds like that hasn't worked for you before. Good luck, read your post again tomorrow and think about what you really need to do.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heum. Not specifically. My on-off switch is completely broken. I would have a better chance strapping myself to a banana and flying to the moon then drinking normally. My 50 cents ;-)
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I suggest total abstinence.

For me, it just led to many, many horrible years and decisions. My best decisions are made totally and continuously sober.

Stick around SR!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Johnny. You gave us all a whopping 12 minutes to reply, and it is dinner hour where I live.

I think you will find lots of support here if you want to stop drinking, but being a sober recovery forum, not many people are here who can advise you on successfully moderating your drinking.

I have tried and no matter what I promise myself, I always have more than I planned, even if it is not enough to be drunk. And, more than enough to damage my health.

Have you considered stopping drinking altogether?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anger is appropriate sometimes. But use it as a positive force to push forward.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just keep posting. No one will judge you here. Perhaps it will give you some answers, you never know, it can't hurt. I, for one, aint gonna start preaching x
Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny22 View Post
I am flattered by the zero views and responses! On such a busy forum.

Yes, I am feeling angry. At my addiction. And am probably taking it out on you.

Ramblings of a drunk...
I did view your post earlier but didn't comment ... "I'm just going to go back to normal drinking behavior like before it became a problem." ... I have no opinion on that because I have no concept of what "normal drinking behaviour" is for myself. I'm an alcoholic and can't drink normally or otherwise Welcome to SR and good luck on your journey! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks. Stopping altogether would be an option. But I really want to go back to the days when I never drank too much and enjoyed it every once in a while.

I get impatient and angry after a bottle of wine, sorry about that.

It used to be a glass of wine with family and that's it. I want to get back to the normal mode, for me being drinking every once in a while and no more than a glass or 2.

How do I do that?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't know to be honest. I couldn't do that.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm just looking for a way to get back to where it wasn't a problem.

I had no problem. Then this little alcohol thing became a hill. Now I want to get rid of that hill and get back to normal.

How???
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe you could try doing a month without any alcohol? If it bothers you then maybe you will find the answer your need. If it doesn't and get honest with yourself then maybe your don't have a problem?

My 15 cents ,
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I for one have no idea how to do that, stop at 1 or 2, I tried to do that with myself for the last year with no success.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Specially Christmas time, that will give you a good challenge.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Johnny - there's a lot of support here

I don;t know how to get back to normal drinking. I tried for 20 years.

I know I crossed a point where I couldn't return to normal drinking. It was a relief to finally accept that

If you've been doing this for 5 years or more, and I assume you've tried to cut back before, you may find you've crossed that line too.

I sincerely mean no offense but I gotta ask:
if you've already I've lost yr girl, yr future, and everything to wine....why would you want to continue to drink anyway?

D
Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny22 View Post
I'm just looking for a way to get back to where it wasn't a problem.

I had no problem. Then this little alcohol thing became a hill. Now I want to get rid of that hill and get back to normal.

How???
If I knew how, I wouldn't be here. If I COULD do that, I wouldn't be here. Maybe you're not an alcoholic like me, and if not that is awesome for you! But I'm not sure what kind of answers you're looking for from this type of forum. If you want to quit, you'll get a lot of help through the good times and bad of getting and staying sober. If you want to moderate, I know I for one, cannot help you there, much as I would love to ... sorry
Old 12-09-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

@Dee74. I wouldn't want to. Not in this way. I want to be a normal person with normal drinking behavior.

Right now I'm drinking in excess. Like, literally, right now. Drinking my second bottle of wine like it is nothing. And there isn't an underlying reason. I just like it.

I'm screwed up and nothing will help me. That's my honest thought right now.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Johnny. I didn't think you were rambling - I remember feeling that very same way.

For me, though - I couldn't go back to controlling my drinking either. I tried for years, and it always ended in disaster. When I came to SR I was drinking 'round the clock & completely dependent on it. I never dreamed I'd reach that point. I proved to myself many times that I couldn't return to the days of being a social drinker. I'd crossed the line & there was no going back. I'm happy you reached out for some support & want to talk about your situation. We are with you.