Notices

The gift of accountability and dignity during the holidays

Old 12-09-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The gift of accountability and dignity during the holidays

I'm seeing a lot of posts about holidays and drinking. This is my first holiday season without it too. It's a little tough to see those who can have a few and just enjoy the holiday. Then my sense kicks in and I know full well that I'm not one of them.

On the flip side it's so relieving to know that when I go somewhere that when I leave I'll have my dignity intact. Could I possibly go and still be ok? Sure. In the end, when drinking, when and if my alternate ego would appear was a crap shoot (perfect word for it). There were times I could remain intact but it was never a sure thing and once it started there was no stopping it. Typically, the times that I was able to remain intact was simply because I would leave early enough so I could get home and drink in the manner that I really wanted to.

The problem was there was a very fine line in sips of alcohol between Jekyll and Hyde and where that sip would occur was something that could never be predicted. It could happen during the 1st beer, it could happen during the 5th and anywhere in between and after, at any given time and without warning.

So during this holiday season, while you look over and observe those who are merrily sipping their alcohol and seem to be enjoying themselves never forget this. You've given yourself the greatest gift that you can which is accountability and dignity. Those two things can't be purchased anywhere, they are priceless.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! And THANK YOU! I was just lamenting a little to myself about not "enjoying" a drink this coming season- all the while failing to realize the REAL JOY of knowing I am truly in control, I am truly a PART of everything instead of a numed bystander or anxious drunk just waiting for it to be over so I can hit the sauce. Thanks for the reminder! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post lady. I have had many thoughts about having "just a few" during the holidays. It struck me when you talked about the "jekyl and hyde". You are right . . . On any given day my drinking looked different. Many times i could gave just have one or two glasses of wine but there was always that one day when i just kept going and couldnt shut it off. I have no idea why one day was so different from the next but it was. Thanks for the reminder. I need to stay strong during the holidays.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

. . . and for everything else there's Mastercard!!

Seriously though, great post!! . . . I liked the bit about leaving early to get home to drink in the manner you really wanted to, that rings true on many an occasion!