Notices

Hi!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi!

Hi guys! I've been here before just for a few days. It's been awhile and now I'm back.

I'm pretty good about saying I'm done drinking but not about actually doing the work. The longest I've been sober is one year and I had about 6 months too but I always find myself back at another day one.

I'm known as a drinker so when I'm not drinking, people notice which makes me feel uneasy. That anxiety drives me to drink :P.

This morning, I watched a video about a man who had been sober for 4 years and one technique he uses is dim ply saying "I don't drink anymore." Pretty simple right? Crazy enough, in my on and off battle with this I realized that I've never turned down a drink using those words, it's usually "I don't feel like drinking" or "not now" which doesn't work around persistent people since they will ask multiple times throughout the night. So I'm going to try these words. They sound so final and don't give me an out. Whereas before I'd never want to verbalize that I'm done drinking forever.. it was too scary for me. How else can I find fun as a 20 something living in la.. how else can I bond with people... alcohol was my crutch.

I'm determined to be 100% sober for the rest of my life so even if it means having numerous day ones and going through numerous techniques, I need to try.. Because it's come to the point where I need to stay sober in order to live.

I'm super excited for all the support and resources I will receive from this site! <3
Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! "I don't drink anymore" is a pretty simple statement of your intentions. That should work with persistent people. And if they continue to bug you, keep repeating it until they 'get it'.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find your way I have nob doubt about it. You can be free of this beast!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Sola
Old 12-08-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sola, i'm glad you have joined us. Best wishes.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! <3
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's a good technique. Only last night I was out with my football team mates at our Xmas meal. Was asked if I wanted a drink and before I could say 'I don't drink anymore' one of my team mates said 'Pete doesn't drink anymore'. Simple but effective!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you sola!

Alcohol was my crutch too - and I knew at your age that I was headed for trouble. Unlike you, I did nothing about it. I tried to manage the amounts I drank & failed terribly every time. In the end, I was completely dependent on it. It was no longer fun - it had become a necessity. I had a terrible time letting go of it as an older person. You've done yourself a huge favor by facing what needs to be done and taking charge. Be proud. It'll be a challenge in the early days - but it gets so much easier. It's wonderful to be free.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Sola welcome to SR
Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sola View Post
This morning, I watched a video about a man who had been sober for 4 years and one technique he uses is dim ply saying "I don't drink anymore."
That's how I quit smoking. Every time I thought of buying a cigarette in my head I was like "Oh yeah, I don't smoke anymore." It worked for a few years although I am smoking again but it does work when you apply it. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome