Notices

So I survived a Friday night!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up So I survived a Friday night!

I did it! I survived a Friday night w/ out drinking! It was really nice to wake up this morning and have this beautiful snowy day. I just keep feeling better and better not only about the way I am physically feeling, but about my choice NOT to drink.......I pass the liquor store on the way home from work tonight and I'm pretty sure since it's so cold out that I'll just do the same thing I did last night and by-pass it altogether! I know I'm getting ahead of myself here considering I still have an entire day here @ work! Minute by minute @ this point right?! Oh question I know it's only been a few days but I was wondering if it's normal to feel pretty calm. I mean I have or had MAJOR anxiety usually after drinking. But last night I was sitting @ home and I just "feel" more calm. Like EVERYTHING I used to think about or drink about seems rather silly and NOT apart of the big picture. Just a question.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not know maybe this was just the right time for you to quit, it just feels right and you are calm and confident that you have made the right decision.

There will probably be some hard moments also.

Stick to it you will not regret it.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh I'm sure it will get hard.........I'm just gonna ride this wave and worry about that bridge when it comes. I'm sure the closer it gets to Christmas with parties and all it will be a challenge. But here's to making almost day 4!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right on, Snowdayz! I remember my first Friday (only a few weeks ago), and it was intense and strange. Had a very similar experience. Enjoy you victory. Now let's knock out a sober Saturday. Enjoy the snow.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi snowdayz.

That feeling of "calm" you describe is often a sign and also a precursor of acceptance. When we accept what we are and what this means, and make a commitment to make things right -- and stop fighting the booze tooth and nail -- we have these uncanny moments in sobriety that rarely resemble any state of mind we've previously experienced.

I can pretty much guarantee that, by continuing to work at your sobriety -- including all the inevitable difficult times -- these moments will be part of your everyday life.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt those too. It was really what I hoped to achieve by quitting! Calm, being proud of myself...heck yes I clung to those! Enjoy it! You will get more. Oh, you will get a bump or two also but that's just life. Everybody gets those. But soak in these feelings. Get use to them and use them for inspiration when life throws a curve. Don't be scared of the curve balls. Knowing that you can feel this way, you deserve to feel this way is what gets you through curve balls. It's is pretty simple. Don't drink and you get the opportunity to see things differently. Drink and all you get is one view on life. Not a pleasant one I may add.

That's just being positive. Positive thinking is just seeing things for what they are and not doing that all or nothing thinking or thinking you are the cause of all things bad.

Great job Snowdayz!! That gave me a nice happy moment hearing about your great Friday night and now your Saturday!