Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hello from a kinda former binge drinker... withdrawal symptom?

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all... I had been a binge drinker for the past 5 years. The frequency of me getting drunk varied from a few days to a few weeks, I also lost my first real love due to this habit. After which it had gotten much worse.. I was getting drunk every other day which continued for a month or two. I now shudder at the thought of what I was doing back then.. used to find one or the other friend who would drink.. wasted a ton of money as I was the one who paid most of the times. This was back in the first quarter of 2011.

Afterward I got a hold of myself somewhat and the drinking started being a weekly or fortnightly affair. It was still of the binge kind though. I then decided that enough was enough and started taking steps to quit this year but usually gave in after 2-3 weeks.

Now I am here 52 days sober, the last time I drank was within limits. My blood pressure did increase to pre-hypertension levels after around 4 weeks of that last drink, but it is going down to normal slowly and steadily now. However I am noticing that I am quite forgetful. Can this be another withdrawal symptom?

Thank you for going through my post. I hope to be a regular here to help stick to this sobriety. And an all the best to everyone here.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome puncher

For some of us it takes a while for the 'fog' to lift.
If you're concerned about it an you see a Dr?

D
Old 12-07-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee.. The forgetfulness is really not a major concern for now but ya well it does bug me and hence I had to post here . I guess i'll try n keep a track of its progress.. if things look worse I'll consult a doc.
I hope its not permanent... having read a lot about binge drinking and the associated binge/abstain cycles has really hit me hard. Wish I knew better than that.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey puncher ,
good to have you along ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi mecanix.. good to be here
Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Puncher, I'm 61 with 4 weeks sober so can't say about the forgetfulness, I've always had a bad memory, I've written notes to myself to remember things for many years. Good luck with you sober life, I know I sure feel better.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks zeppodog.. It does feel good to be sober.