Sorry I couldn't find a thread that deal with this!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry I couldn't find a thread that deal with this!

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can help me. I met the most amazing, funny, communicative and romantic man. Three days later all the romance has disappeared completely!

He told me he injected meth for a number of years (and has a horrific hole in his arm to prove it) and has been clean for a year but now just smokes dope.. Though apparently not often. Strange things have cropped up hypocracy (accusing me of having a drinking problem for having a couple of wines then getting written off at his work do), full on romance then nothing, constantly telling me how hot every woman he knows is and going into mad detail about his ex girlfriend that he did the meth with. He surrounds himself with women but can be very loving with me.

All sweet sentimental and loving stuff has all but disappeared... Is this normal?
I know nothing of the effects of meth on the emotions and brain long term.

All I know is that I'm very confused by this behaviour.

Thank you so much

Xx
Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Count your blessings that you don't have a second longer than three days invested in this guy. Too many women marry the most amazing , funny, communicative and romantic men only to see the dark side too late.

Lucky you!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Who knows what is going on but I would run fast and far. He may still be using or just generically unstable. In either case there seem to be way too many red flags
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

THREE days? and you are wondering what's wrong? be glad he shared that with you and you can RUN really fast.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Sorry my post must have been confusing, it's been just over a week but the emotional shutdown started after 3 days. I've just ended it. Feel sad but not as sad as when I was being accused of being an alcoholic, being told how hot everyone else was and being told I was negative.

I just didn't know whether this was an effect of long term drug use or whether he was just a bit of a dick.

Xx
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sounds like a jerk to me. If he can't go longer than three days without showing his azzhole side, he's an azzhole, drugs or no drugs.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I have discovered the hard way is that men who seem incredibly, extraordinarily wonderful within a few days of meeting them are often putting up a front. In fact, I read a book somewhere along the line while trying to figure out how I was missing red flags so much with men, and the author of this book suggested that when you find yourself using superlatives with someone you've just met (the best, the most romantic, etc.), that should actually be a red flag all by itself. Manipulative people often use excessive charm to suck people in, but once you're in, poof! You see the person behind the mask. I think you dodged a bullet here.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stay away from all addicts romantically....
Your free!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trophygirl View Post
Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can help me. I met the most amazing, funny, communicative and romantic man. Three days later all the romance has disappeared completely!

I know nothing of the effects of meth on the emotions and brain long term.

All I know is that I'm very confused by this behaviour.

Thank you so much

Xx
Cant say what is causing his change in behavior, but I think you made the right choice stepping away from him. I think the way he was treating you (in regards to all the other women issues alone) would make me walk away. You were asking about the effects of meth on the brain and the long term recovery; I am adding a link to National Institute of Drug Abuse webpage where they talk about addiction and the brain, and also they show brain scans of a meth addict at various stages; even 14 months later with no drug use it is still not normal in their example - hope it helps answer some of your questions on that issue. Treatment and Recovery | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

listen to hopeful!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do not ignore your gut feelings when it come to red flags! RUN!

And more importantly, when he turns all the charm back on and pursues you, keep running! Don't be part of what sounds like his narcissistic supply.

JMHO! lol
Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are being given a gift that he is showing his true colors so quickly. Please don't be clouded by your emotions for him. You have a choice to walk away and move on to a healthier relationship. It will only get worse.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear Trouphygirl, First, Welcome to our family that truly cares about you.
Now, trust your gut and RUN far away from this addict as you can, and as fast and do it this very minute.
Not only do most or all addicts lie to other people and the people whom love them, but they lie to themselves. It's sad but oh so true. Hugs to you and to your saddened heart. Stick around, read and post. We are here to support you and each other. TF