Notices

Just got back from meeting number 3

Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just got back from meeting number 3

Hi folks , just wanted to check in and report back from my third meeting this week ; this week being my first time at aa ever.
It was really good ! Was funny , intense. The people are so kind. And dread of dreads I saw someone I know .... She's a customer at work and we sometimes have a cig together. We already have these full on mental health conversations and I knew she was someone special. Now I know why. She was so supportive and will be a huge help. I shared , even managed to say I was an alcoholic !!!! Which feels like cotton wool in my mouth when I tried to practice it before I went. I made everyone laugh which was so cool to connect to these people. And as I said yesterday : tonight I am sober
Thanks for listening , Kia kaha x
Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You go Seiceps! You are making great progress.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks marcher , we both about the same time early this year I remember. As Joey tribianni would say how YOU doin ?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Every meeting I've ever gone to, and there have been a bunch. A special magic happens. I feel at home and safe. I feel for the first time in my life that I belong somewhere. Meetings are a place where I am I understood and I understand.

4 years down the road I still go 4 to 5 times a week. I don't know if I need to go that often but I want to go that often. Why wouldn't I go if it makes me feel better each time?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mir , that's definitely something that freaked me out , people saying they have to come and keep coming or they wouldn't be able to continue to stop. I guess I thought it's like anything you do- a programm for time , then you're cured , then you leave. That doesn't sound like what I'm hearing. But, as you say , why leave when you still get so much out if it? Early days yet for me. I've always been the type of person who says thinks of buying a nice cream truck , within half an hour, I've reached world ice cream domination !
Just need to slow it down and take each experience as and what it is in the moment. Thx for reminding me of that. Sober morning in nz right now for instance ; )
Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Seiceps View Post
Hi Mir , that's definitely something that freaked me out , people saying they have to come and keep coming or they wouldn't be able to continue to stop. I guess I thought it's like anything you do- a programm for time , then you're cured , then you leave. That doesn't sound like what I'm hearing. But, as you say , why leave when you still get so much out if it? Early days yet for me. I've always been the type of person who says thinks of buying a nice cream truck , within half an hour, I've reached world ice cream domination !
Just need to slow it down and take each experience as and what it is in the moment. Thx for reminding me of that. Sober morning in nz right now for instance ; )
It took me 2 years to embrace this forever thing. In reality it is not forever it's just for today. I do what I need to do today in order to stay sober and that usually includes a meeting. Although my past is a total train wreck my big problem is the future. I know myself only too well and if I live in the future I will drink. if we have one foot in the past and one foot in the future we will p!ss all over today.

I drank a fifth of cheap vodka a day for over 20 years and AA taught me how to lead a healthy happy life sober. AA saved my life plain and simple
Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love that analogy one foot in the past one foot in the future pissing on today. It's perfect !!! THANKYOU I'll remember and hold onto that concept.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

That's wonderful news.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seiceps, good for you for working on your recovery.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So happy this is working for you so far, Darling! I know you were really hesitant for awhile there and I am so glad you gave it a go.

It was so hard to utter the "My name is..., and I am an alcoholic." It felt so damn final. Like that shot the crap out of me ever talking myself into being a moderate or "problem" drinker again. Which is the point, I suppose. It's definitely a reality check.

But AA has been a huge part of keeping me sober for the past (almost) ten months. I am still not religious, per se, but the program and the friendship (fellowship) has done something where a lot of my previous efforts failed. AA and SR have helped me immensely but, as others have said, it's always one day at a time But with these two in my pocket? I have a hell of a lot more of a fighting chance than I ever did before...

Love ya and so happy to read this...

Big hugs to you from West Africa (for now)!

Last edited by Ptcapote; 12-06-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Full circle pt , west Africa is where I think we met, in yr hotel room ? Hahaha
Look lady you are the number one reason I tried aa. When I got back on here and saw how well you had done , I went right! I was so proud of you and thought just give it a go , so I did , it's good , and I THANKYOU pt.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not to mention the rest of you who I also thank for ongoing enthusiasm and support. Truly first sober day in a while today. Truly bc there's no hangover attached to it either. I moved house five weeks ago and every single box is in a mountain in my garage. Today they will be flat packed and recycled finally. Better have another coffee for that job me thinks. It's Saturday morning here. Have a great day / night wherever you are. Xxx
Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Seiceps,

I wanted to share something that I thought about when you mentioned something along the lines of going until you are cured. I had that thought initially, going forever to meetings, when is it going to end? But the reality is that it is important that those who achieve long term sobriety continue to go to the meetings to lend their experience, strength and hope to the newcomers. Otherwise it would be a bunch of new people all the time who don't know what they are doing. Plus, the "old timers" typically get as much from the newcomers as the newcomers get from them. The further away you get from the immediate pain of drinking and withdrawal and the whole cycle, the more you forget the pain. Us new people remind the people with long term sobriety what it was like.

I enjoy going to meetings. It helps me get on even ground again. I don't know that I will ever get away from that - it is kind of like going home. I am glad that you are finding them helpful.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi ruby , THANKYOU for explaining that so well. Yes imagine if there weren't the people saying how life is , it just wouldn't work. I get that now. Once again it's just me living in the future. Switching between craving and aversion; ie pissing on today ! The people I have enjoyed listening to and chuckling with are the old timers. Ohhhh the lessons are coming thick and fast folks .... I'd better hold on
Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We are all in this together so buckle up and enjoy the ride! I haven't been to as many meetings lately as I have wanted. I did ninety in ninety after getting out of treatment a little over a year ago. I relapsed in August and am in the process of getting my act back on track. I missed the old timers at my meetings. They have become my kooky tribe. I know they are there for me and have a wealth of experience to share but they all say they are all only one drink away from a drunk, even after their combined years of sobriety. I've finally started to figure it out for myself. I have a lot to learn. You can also be pretty much assured that nothing shocks them. And that no matter what you say, someone understands what you are saying or what you are going through. Things I find missing when talking to people who are not alcoholics.