Notices

Detox wish I never even started.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox wish I never even started.

What an ordeal getting bounced from the ever rotation shift to doc... They all think they know better. Went to sit in a group room in time for AA meeting that never happened, and had to listen to two nim rods disguss grab ass so I said "obviously you don't knw how to behave with a lady in the room, so I'm out" and a nurse insisted on measuring my blood pressure immediately. This was ridgt after they decreased/changed my drug. Had to wait almost an hour for my supplement because she forgot! These people know eachother... It's like oh well, jail don't want us, our friends don't want us, guess ill go get legally high at detox!,, I'm NOT HERE TO GET HIGH ( much to the disbelief of my drs I'm sure!! I cry all the time,I'm totally overwhelmed, I'm seeing things, my bdy jerks are waking me every 5 minutes and I'm fn MAD MAD MAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a joke to these *****!!! A JOKE!! And now they may want me in psyche after this???? REALLY???
Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wellll, MAYBE they do know whats better for you than you do?
MAYBE psyche is where ya need to go next?
MAYBE a good time to stop being concerned about what anyone else is doing?
and of course the docs are in disbelief. ive seen a LOT of people goin through detox that didn't have the right motive.

ride it out. it WILL get better. ya didn't get there overnight. take it one minute at a time if need be.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have never been thru serious DT's, so I can only offer you my thoughts and support. You are going thru something pretty serious if they have you on drugs to help with the withdrawals. So if you can, please try to remain calm until some of the withdrawals pass.

You know if quitting for you was easy, you wouldn't be there. Take what help they can offer and get thru this. It won't last forever, unless you let it.

I would give you strength if I could. I would give you peace if I could. I would give you anything to help you right now, except a way out of this. It is the only way out, so fight for yourself, not for what you are perceiving as reality right now.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry ESN - but if you're seeing things, maybe you're in the right place...if only just for now?

D
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It isn't easy. I detoxed in a locked psych ward because the hospital didn't have a dedicated detox unit. No phone. No Internet. No visitors. Then I went to in patient treatment. Locked unit. No cell phones. No iPads. No Internet access whatsoever. No newspapers.

The nurses have to take blood pressure. Just recently that woman who was on "That seventies show" died of a heart attack while in detox. Amy Winehouses family said she died of a heart attack while detoxing at home. It isn't something to mess with. I had mine checked twice a day the entire time I was in treatment and not just while detoxing.

Try to get some rest. Give it a day. If you have a counselor assigned to you, talk to that person.

Think of it this way...would you rather be there with medical staff looking after you even though you have to follow and abide by the rules of the facility no matter how silly you think they are or would you rather be at home drinking yourself into a stupor? You can always leave if you don't like it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well maybe they DO KNOW what's best for me or obviously iwouldnt be here! What I meant was with every new shift, my care and med protocols change. Does that make sense? Maybe involuntary psyche is NOT where I need to go since I'm not a threat to anyone or myself. It's just where they shift ya when your insurance runs out and your case is over their heads. NO thanks!! As far as the other patients are concerned- when I show up to group but only two guys show up to share "war stories" (drinking) and ponder on the good old days of "grab ass" damned right it becomes my problem! If they make it this hard to get help- why the **** did I quit!?!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm sorry this is a hard time for you. It can get better. Please try to be calm, do your best to ignore annoyances, take deep breaths. Keep posting here, we'll chat with you.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YES I CAN LEAVE IF I DON'T LIKE IT THANKS!!! I'm not worried about the rules! CLEARLY NO ONE ELSE IS!!! I'm hurting I'm breaking and I'm tying to hang on for my ******* life!! And if you want to paint me out as a spoilt bitch!!! Have at it!! You're right- I don't like it, I should just leave!!! Thanks for all the kind words, I'm just trying to get my feelings out. If you don't agree or want to put me down rather than lift me up then GOOOOO AWAAAAYYY!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know, it's not exactly unusual for the psych doctors to get involved during a detox or at least that was my experience when I went almost 19 year ago. At the time, I was not the most stable person while detoxing. In fact, my mood swings were so severe that they scared even me.

I went to get the poison out of my system and not die in the process but then decided I knew what was best and at one point truly believed the staff was out to get me. I was, to say the least, a PITA.

Rather be thought of as crazy and getting myself straightened out then drinking myself into crazy over and over again.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I ask you the same question. Why the **** did you quit? It seems that would be of more issue to you than what two dbags are talking about, or how the current place you are getting help in is ran. Focus on your goal, get thru it.

Chill the **** out for a couple of days, that is why you went there.
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Withdrawal, detox, psych wards suck. BUT...it does get better and if we detox and stay clean we never have to repeat that process.

Hang in there, come here and vent if you need to, but don't do anything that is going to undermine your getting and staying sober/clean.
  # 12 (permalink)  

Take it easy, the poster that got you riled is not angry with you.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tomsteve and ruby2... Not helpful. Anyone else taking offense- none intended. I am a real person in a deeply personal situation. No thx to arrogance. Sry!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

???
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

@mikie9 it matters to me because I'm a childhood trauma survivor that's taken a huge step in making myself vulnerable, only to be made to feel
Unsafe. That's why.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I know exactly how you're feeling. I had the same issue with the shift changes. It had me in tears that each shift treated everything differently and distributed my meds in a different way.

And I fought it the whole way. I tried to reason with them about what I thought was insanity. But looking back at it now, I was the insane one, ranting to anyone who would listen to me like I deserved to make up the rules as I went along.

On the day I was discharged, I apologized to every single nurse for my behavior. They thanked me and said they've seen much worse.

No one said this was going to be easy. I just had a double hip replacement. Painful as hell. But if I had to choose between detox and having the surgery again, I'd choose the surgery.

But you can get through this. It's really mind over matter at this point. We're just talking about like 5-7 days here. So here are you choices: 1) you can just try to ride it out, knowing and having faith that soon, very soon in fact, you will be feeling better; 2) you can run around like you own the place and complain your way through it; or 3) AMA it out of there and suffer on your own.

You told us how hard it was to get a bed there, so I'd advise against #3. I chose #2 and I still regret the way I treated my care team. They saved my life. They kept me alive from something that could have easily killed me.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm detoxing right now too from all the pain meds I was given in the hospital. It's nowhere near as bad as the detox in rehab, but it's bringing back all these horrible memories. My anxiety is through the roof right now. My hands are shaking and numb. My skin is crawling. I haven't gotten more than a few hours of sleep in days. But I know that come Monday, I'll be off these horrible pills and I'll be able to put this all behind me. Like I said before, it's all in our outlook. So tonight, I've reached out to my family, sponsor and friends. People who care about me and talked me down. I'm glad you're reaching out here. So keep your eye on the prize. I'm right there with you in spirit. Every emotion and pain you're dealing with, I've felt. Every situation you're encountering in detox, I've dealt with too. You're not alone. And if a screwup like me can get through it, I have high hopes for you.

All the best. One day, one hour, one minute at a time.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Then focus on that not what some assholes are talking about, or whether you got your supplements. I encourage you to come talk it out here just like everyone else, but don't expect us to not try to help with what we have to share. That's all we got

I am a childhood trauma survivor too. I haven't ever shared that here, only a couple of people in real life know that. I tell it now just so you know you are not alone.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hugs for you. Hang in. You're in a bad way, but you'll get through this. If you've got it this rough you need the supervision.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am trying to be supportive and perhaps what I wrote didn't come across that way. Reading your follow up explaining that your treatment protocol has changed with shift changes I understand your frustration better.

I'm not insinuating anything about you. I am sorry if i offended you. I was in a locked inpatient treatment facility for two weeks following locked unit detox. I was a desperate alcoholic who just couldn't get or stay sober by myself without that kind of help. I cant and wouldnt judge anyone here. We are all here for the same reason. We have a desire to stop drinking.

I wish you the best.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone here is on your side ESN...or they should be

It is maddening when the different shifts don't seem to co-ordinate too well, but that's common enough in every hospital or clinic.
The important thing is you're in a safe place.

If this thread is getting anyone else upset, it's ok to leave it for a while.

D