Notices

Little Changes....

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Little Changes....

This is a question for everyone regardless of their sobriety length.

I am curious about what little changes you noticed in the beginning of your sobriety.

How did your behavior change? Habits? Did you notice these changes at the beginning or did they kind of hit you out of the blue?

I noticed something about myself today, day 8. Habits I've had since my teenage years (when I first really began stunting my emotional, mental and spiritual growth) are already going away. I am noticing changes in how I react to others, treat myself and even how I do my nails.

What little changes have you noticed?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

After a week or so, my husband commented that I seemed much more alive - and he still says that now.

One of the first things I found was that I noticed my surroundings a lot more and smiled much more easily. 10 months later, that still persists. I've been like a three-year-old this autumn, looking at every tree and saying 'Wow!!' It feels pretty wonderful!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i've started using my indicators when driving. it's a tiny, silly thing but it makes me smile every time i notice i'm doing it...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Well these aint too little.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-alcohell.html

Sobriety is rather glorious, don't you think ?

XO AO
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I sing a lot. Poor neighbours
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

I love it, keep them coming.

Another thing I have noticed is sleep. Back when I was hopped up on pills I'd be up for two or three days straight. I'd lie down but never could fall asleep and I had to have my Nook with me to pass the time. But for the past four nights, when I have found myself tired in the evenings, I have gone to bed and fallen asleep. I've been getting healthy, glorious, wonderful SLEEP for the first time!!!!! It's marvelous!!

Sobriety IS turning out to be glorious, Alpha. The physical discomfort is great but when you make it through, you find that it was worth it in a way. Way to go! HeadLump and Ippo, there are really so many little things that we begin to notice when we are not wrapped up in the nightmare of addiction. Kate, forget 'em. Sing out all you want. You have a very good reason to. Thanks you guys!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

God I hate people not using their indicators!!

A lot more energy at the start was my main change, and my memory seems to have gotten worse, leaving car keys in places I never used to!!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have noticed SO MANY changes!
-I sleep great
-I am much more calmer
-I think more positively
-I feel peace
-I have lost 10 pounds ;-)
-I "see" things differently (I looked at my daughter this morning and was just in awe of her)
-My energy level is higher
-I am more motivated to start and finish tasks
Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I sleep way better ... right from day one.
I am way more lucid (most of time lol ... times when I'm not make me laugh at myself now but it's better every day)
I generally feel more positive about life .... the odd funk but it's that monster talking then.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sleep! Restful sleep. I used to think wine helped me . . . Not so. I dont wake during the night nearly as much. I notice little things about my kids . . .they make me smile and laugh. Not as irritable, unless i get a craving and this is just day 13.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everything you can possibly think of has changed for the better however I get agitated a bit easier. 4M
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jkb

I started to "take things as they come" and not be so stressed out all the time. This took a while but, strangely enough these are traits I thought were opposite my personality. Turns out I wasn't who I thought I was...lol.

Jess
Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
God I hate people not using their indicators!!

A lot more energy at the start was my main change, and my memory seems to have gotten worse, leaving car keys in places I never used to!!
I thought I was the only one! Where I live nobody uses theirs either.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

I love what everyone has posted. It's so awesome to see results almost from the first day. It doesn't always happen that way, but little changes DO happen all along the way!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me it was the sleep. I now actually get sleepy at an appropriate time. I also sleep (well) all through the night. Actual sleep, not just passing out for the night. Much, much better. Plus, I look forward to getting up in the mornings. I spring out of bed eager to get to work or the day's chores. That never happened when I was drinking.

I now have normal bathroom habits, whereas I strongly resembled a dysentery sufferer before. I'm thankful for that!

From a mental health perspective, I'm much more optimistic now and am not chronically depressed as before. I much more ambitious and am using the new energy to strengthen my career and to catch up on jobs around the house that I had been putting off.

In all measurable ways, my physical and mental health is much, much better than before, and I'm only on day 17. I expect things to continue to improve.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bathroom habits.... It's amazing how that changed and how it can make your whole day better!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

I laugh
I'm calmer,
Seem to have got the 'old' me back.
Some days it's a struggle, today was, but worth every sober second x
Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sleep better
Happier
More fun
More caring
More productive at work
A lot more money
3 stone lighter

The list could keep going on!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've always had a short fuse, not "blowing up" at people but rather "internal irritation" one that kept me in a constant state of anxiety. I am much calmer now.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I experienced good and bad feelings. Since we're focusing on the good, I noticed an immediate change in my skin, eyes, tongue, lungs and my internal organs finally felt like they were functioning fully. I suppose the best way to describe it is that I felt like I was finally "operating on a full tank", physically. Then again I was running on empty for a long time before that, so lots of the experiences were a bit overwhelming. I had trouble dealing with being so alert, I noticed so many more details, smells, sights, etc. It was a bit scary sometimes!