Notices

Struggling with Sports Betting

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with Sports Betting

I have been sober for just over 100 days I grew up in an environment where gambling/sports betting was pretty prevalent. Two of my unlces are bookmakers and I always remember my Father betting on sports when I was growing up. I've been casually betting on sports since I was 15 years old (29 now). But ever since I've put down the booze it seems like I have more of an urge to make bigger bets and on more games than I usually do. I kind of feel like maybe in my mind I'm trying to somehow replace the alcohol with the rush that you get from betting on sports. I've decided that I'm just going to quit betting on sports, but it has been tougher than I thought it would be. I haven't bet on a game in just over two weeks and the urge has weakened. I know this is a forum for alcohol/drug recovery, but I was just wondering if any others had struggled with this sort of thing and could offer any advice. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction and/or compulsive issues all come from the same place in my addictive/compulsive mind : ) (I have driven myself almost half blind from "Candy Crush" lately....after guffawing at its victims before me previously : )

I don't have a whole lot of advice but I do think its vitally important that we replace our destructive "coping" mechanisms with better ones. From a physiological perspective ...well our bodies and chemicaly imbalanced minds are still seeking dopamine rushes wherever they can get them. Gambling is as destructive as any other brain poison (my father lost pretty much everything over it). Seek less destructive "dopamine/endorphin" rushes (e.g. vigorous exercise is the healthiest one I can think of).

This is such an arduous road....please know that you need "new mechanisms" on it..new coping skills, new ways to relax, new ways to take a moment, new thought patterns...oh gosh...new everything...argh.

There's my handful of pennies...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Nuudawn!! I agree 100% with the vigorous exercise advice. Since I've gotten sober I've taken up jogging and have been eating much healthier. I've lost about 35 lbs and I feel the best I feel all day right after I've gone for a run. I've also taken up meditation which I think is a big help, although I found it really hard at first.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most websites these days have settings to lock maximum bet limits or account topups per day/week . . . I used to bet on football all the time, though haven't in a while, but when I started using these settings it reigned me in to only spending a certain budget on gambling every week . . . I'd say these would be useful if your only going to dabble now and again!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Most websites these days have settings to lock maximum bet limits or account topups per day/week . . . I used to bet on football all the time, though haven't in a while, but when I started using these settings it reigned me in to only spending a certain budget on gambling every week . . . I'd say these would be useful if your only going to dabble now and again!
I bet with a local bookmaker, so this isn't really an option for me. I'm sure I could tell him to cap my account at a certain $ amount per week. But I really think it's best if I just stop betting all together. I could see where it could spiral out of control just like my drinking did.