Notices

Day 1 begins

Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 begins

Hi all,
So this is day 1 for me. I have been drinking for 30 years, started at age 14. I am now up to 2 bottles of wine each night. I wake up each day saying that I will not drink and then around 5 it seems like a great idea. I am SO sick of it. I have gained 25 pounds just in the last year. So I am coming here for support and plan on hanging out here in the evenings instead of drinking wine. Nervous about this evening and dont trust my thoughts anymore.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You can do it. My situation was very similar to yours. I am usually about if you fancy a chat. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Kathy! You've come to the right place. You'll find tons of support here.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kathy - you've found a great place for support

D
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, I also was little like you but was a 5th a day drinker, there are great people here for you have found a lot. need help just post, SR will respond
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Kathy! Good for you for "stepping up"! With the holiday season approaching it can be a tough time to quit....but YOU CAN DO THIS I know...I got sober (the first time on November 11, 1991). Eventually relapsed BUT....I got a few years of sobriety under my belt that time....I remember going to a SOBER New Year's Eve party! That was a FIRST....lol....just the fact that I remember it is an amazing fact! Lots of support here, and many who have experience just what you have. Look around the forums....take what you like and leave the rest Post a LOT....I know that has helped me....all the best....Day 51 for me this time...YAY!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The pattern you describe is similar to the one I followed for a few decades. Thousands of mornings I told myself "not tonight". By evening things seemed to have changed.

That cycle can be broken. It can be difficult, but it can be done. You can do this.

Best of Luck on your journey!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ditto- same story different substance . We are all here for you and you are AMAZING for taking this brave step! Stay close!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kathy your story is familiar. Everytime i drank too much i would wake up and say no more. Once the weekend arrived it all went out the window. Make sure you check in here this evening when the cravings begin. This site has been a blessing for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Same story and same substance! I wasn't far off two bottles a session by the end

I've actually found it much easier to give up than I could ever have imagined. The physical and psychological benefits seemed to come through very quickly which was incredibly motivating. And the feeling of freedom is wonderful!

Keep at it, Kathy. Post here as often as you need to. It's so worth it
Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Welcome Kathy !

You sound just like me.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html

Be well dear one. You can do this. We can help.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Kathy, and good luck. I find it helps to come to SR every day and post.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Kathy. Keep us posted. Come here when that 5 PM voice kicks in. We're here for you. We've all been through it and are going throut it. You've found a good place for support.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Kathy WELCOME!

You can do this!!! You have come to the right place for support!

Like Malc said just come here tonight when that voices comes up....change the routine.

Best of luck!!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks first day will be tough

Thanks for all the support already! My son works tonight so it will be tough not to drink...but I am not going to! I will try and stay on this forum tonight and focus on that.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kathyhereiam View Post
Thanks for all the support already! My son works tonight so it will be tough not to drink...but I am not going to! I will try and stay on this forum tonight and focus on that.
Hi Kathy! Welcome! I was very similar to you and I want you to know you can succeed!

Since you know tonight will be difficult, it being your first night and your son not being home, what is your plan? When I stopped drinking, I found it helpful to find a non-alcoholic replacement drink. I found that one with sugar in it, like a nice ginger ale or cream soda, gave my AV the sugar it was used to receiving via wine.

Just a suggestion. Good luck and keep checking in. We are all here for you!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome - great support and ideas for recovery here..
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Kathy!....As you can see, there are a lot of people who are here to help! I'm on day 4. I am so grateful I found this forum. So much information and support. We are in this together!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
You can do it. My situation was very similar to yours. I am usually about if you fancy a chat. Good luck!
Me 3....by the time I quit, i had gained 40 lbs. and was drinking 8-10 LARGE glasses of wine every night...the nights got longer and the starting time got earlier.

drinking wreaks havoc enough with your body, combine it with peri-menopause, menopause and it exacerbates the symptoms....and leaves you wide open for other "fun things" like high blood pressure and flirting with type 2 Diabetes...

Alcohol sugar can really do you in.

welcome, there are a lot of people here who you can relate to.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drink. Get drunk. Fall asleep. Wake up hung over, ashamed and barely functioning. Repeat. Day after day. Year after year. It is no way to live.

Congratulations on taking the first step on this very challenging, but very rewarding journey.

Welcome, Kathy. I am glad you are here with us.