Notices

So here I try...

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here I try...

To stay sober. December 1 was my birthday. Been drinking since I was about nineteen. Don't know how many beers I have drank in that time but a safe bet would be an average of 8 beers a night. I basically have it all, a great wife, two great kids, and a home. so before I lose everything I need and want to quit drinking. I told that to the wife on dec 2 and she was very supportive. So I have gone two nights without a drink, can't sleep, sweating, high bp and body pains. Going to doctor tomorrow to see what he thinks. A little nervous for Thursday as I have the guys over in the shop for beer. Going to tell them tomorrow that I am trying to quit drinking. I think this is a great site and glad I found it. We'll thanks for listening and I'll check in later.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you here reider - tons of support available

welcome aboard
D
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reider

Welcome to SR ! Can I suggest you read up on the threads here, join your class (December Class) and post as much as you can, comfortably Treat SR as a type of safe haven where you can share in the knowledge that we are non-judgemental and have probably experienced what you've gone through (and worse) !

Stay close !
Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reider,

Welcome and great job for hanging in there so far!!! Ur situation sounded like mine to a T....cant wait to hear more from ya, and if you would like me to share a bit of my experience with you and what has worked for me I would be happy to, just let me know.

Enjoy your day today,
let god do for you, what you cannot do for yourself!

Matt
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Belated Birthday, Reider. 2
I think you will find solace here.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WELCOME! The sweats were awful for me- BUT.... they were done within a few nights/. Hang in there- a whole new wonderful world awaits!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do what feels right for you buddy. Your friends might not "get it" that you are quitting but you really have to listen to your own heart. You'll be able to still have friends but in the case of getting sober it's all about numero uno (number one) - you.
-Ted
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Reider and Happy SOBER Birthday! I hope it will be the one you remember as your first sober birthday in a very long time and have many, many more. What a great gift to give yourself.

I think it is great that you have asked, and are getting, support from your wife. I also think coming clean with your friends is the right thing to do. I have not been that open socially about quitting, but social situations are not my downfall. I drank to excess mostly at home. So, if you know that it is challenge and they are good friends, and you think they can support you, it is best to tell them right out that you are not drinking, if you plan to keep hanging out together.

I hope they support you and you will find tons of support here.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Reider. The first few times I tried to quit I was hesitant to tell anybody because I was worried I'd be perceived as being weak. I'm still a bit concerned about that, but now I realize it doesn't really matter - sobriety is the most important thing, ahead of friends, ahead of even family.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Reider - hope you keep posting Xx
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Reider!!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liberated View Post
WELCOME! The sweats were awful for me- BUT.... they were done within a few nights/. Hang in there- a whole new wonderful world awaits!
I'll second this
Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Reider, glad you have joined us.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments. Went to doctors yesterday, put everything on the table. He was very supportive. Told me to try two weeks on my own and to see if I can do that. Will go see him in a few weeks as my bp was 150/100. Gave me some good advice and to treat it as a new start. He was very surprise how much I drank and for how long. He said he wound have never known.

Hey cheebiechi I probably would like to talk you. Sounds like we have the same story.

Tonight was usually thirsty Thursday at my house, but told most of the guys i am trying to quit drinking. Sounds like most of them are doing the same thing after New Years. We will see. Take care everyone.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Reider, my doc was really shocked when I told him 30 plus beers and/or scotch and wines a day. I think they get used to the lies we all told of never having more than two, maybe three drinks occasionally. But I got his support, an in hospital detox on his advice, and my family was the same. My drinking buds still gather at the auto parts store one owns up on the corner of my street. At 5 the doors are shut and the beer comes out. I occasionally hang out until 5:30 or six. As soon as they start getting deaf and talking loud as I were hard of hearing. No judging, just boring.

No desire to join them either. If like me, you are done, you will be.