Notices

Day 11

Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Day 11

My big ugly monster keeps trying to rear it's head ... every time I read about someone having a slip or relapse, that nasty voice whispers in my ear "lots of people do it ... almost everyone has at some point". I know where that thought is going and I shut it down as soon as I realize what's going on in there. I also had the very real thought "I can't WAIT for that beer after work" after a sketchy situation at work. My next thought was "hang on ... I don't DO that anymore" (thankfully) and the thought did not intrude as I was driving home past the beer store. It's unnerving when I realize how my brain is working ... it's scary and makes me question whether I can make it or not. I made it today, so that's a good thing (day 11) ... one more down and I'd like another 24 please. Sometimes I have to grind through minute by minute, play the tape ... but that voice, that monster can be soooo seductive sometimes.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hang in here - every time you chase off the cravings, it gets easier to in future
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hokey, day 11 is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Hokey I just suffered through all of it and now 3 years 5 months sober. All the cravings and temptations go away with time sober. Rootin for ya.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said oin the monthly thread, sometimes our inner addict can be so persuasive...

some of my inner addicts all time hits includes such favourites as
  • everyone does it
  • it will help relieve the pressure
  • you can start again tomorrow
  • one more night will help you to be sure you're doing the right thing!
  • maybe I overreacted by quitting completely
  • if I manage to control myself tonight maybe I can have a couple of beers/wines/spirits at Xmas

if some of them sound pretty darn persuasive - make sure of your footing.

THEY'RE ALL LIES.

I listened to some of that, and went out for 'one last night'...didn't get back to sobriety for over 2 years.

There's an enormous amount at stake every time we decide to drink again.
Sadly some of us never make it back top get another try at recovery.

D
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Hokey, day 11 is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Hokey I just suffered through all of it and now 3 years 5 months sober. All the cravings and temptations go away with time sober. Rootin for ya.
Tell us Nefer, do you still have the cravings at times. Maybe not physical cravings but mental cravings. Is the AV still playing head games with you.
Maybe these are redundant questions cause I probably know your answer already.
I haven't smoke a cig. in 22 years but I would fire one up in the morning with my coffee if I knew it wouldn't kill me down the road. Love/hate relationships I guess never fade.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not Nefer but I can honestly say it's been a rough couple years for me healthwise and I've not once thought of drinking.

I never thought I would be able to say that - but it's true, hand on heart.

Drinking now is what other people do. Truly.

D (Class of April 2007)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Rickh54, the cravings for the booze, crack, weed and such have practically vanished, never think about it, however, 1 year 5 months without a cigarette I still have annoying cravings, but I'm not gonna smoke one.