Notices

I feel like a drink

Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like a drink

Hey guys I am thru day 6 and I feel like a drink, I feel like I need it badly and im gonna go crazy if I dont have one im at work but all I can think about is getting some drinks and drinking tonight
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Make it 7 days! You can get through this. Hopefully, by the time you are done with work, the powerful urges will have subsided and you can find something better to do. Take a walk, read, see a movie, go to bed(not sure where you are and what time it is there).

Hang in there.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for coming here first! You must know deep down that one drink will lead to many bad consequences...
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Daz

Think through it all the way from first drink to black out to hangover, shame, guilt and remorse. It isn't worth it. Let the cravings pass through and dont take action on it.

There is a sticky on urge surfing. Read it and follow the steps ! Also, keep posting here.

You can get through it.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like to 'play the tape' when I feel like drinking. It changes the 'I really want to drink' to 'I really don't want to drink' rather effectively.
Playing the tape means visualize the true outcome drinking, down to every nitty gritty detail. I hope that helps! Hang in there.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Daz, you've just been talking today about feeling so much better - don't give in to the urge. You can rise above it and feel proud tomorrow. A whole week!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dazmistry View Post
Hey guys I am thru day 6 and I feel like a drink, I feel like I need it badly and im gonna go crazy if I dont have one im at work but all I can think about is getting some drinks and drinking tonight
...and as if by magic, the nagging Brit woman is awake - oiiiiiiiiiii mister, what you thinking? You don't need a drink and a hangover and the shakes, sweats and $hits, now do you Hang in there pal Xx
PS Just because you have a rubbish cricket team, is no reason to give in <dives for cover>
Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

daz,

do you happen to be hungry, angry, lonely or tired? sometimes just grabbing a bite to eat or making sure you get some good sleep can fix a craving. strange but true.

playing the tape is also a very big help. do you really want to go back to what caused you to quit drinking in the first place?

you can do this, you will be so glad you made it to day 7. and it won't be like this forever, it does get easier. I had a totally awful day today and only bought broccoli at the store today. ;-)
Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try that urge surfing technique on that cravings link, Daz - you can do that anywhere.
We don't have to give into our cravings - we can surf them and make it through

D
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I obsess I say out loud, " STOP".
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

There are so many excellent ideas, here, Daz. There are so many tools at your disposal to get through this and to make it through the cravings. You just have to choose to use them. That includes us, ok? You're not alone in this.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are many techniques for diverting those thoughts. You don't NEED a drink. Think about restful sleep. Think about the beach. Picture attractive people naked. Go home and watch a funny movie, read a book, go to bed early, do something different. Be different. You can make it!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dazmistry View Post

I feel like I need it badly and im gonna go crazy if I dont have one im at work but all I can think about is getting some drinks and drinking tonight
if I entertain those drinking thoughts for long

I always end up drunk yet again

a man (or woman) is what he or she thinkith

"A man is literally what he thinks,
his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts."

MM
Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
All I can say is hang in there. Cravings don't last forever. It will go away. They always go away. And when you make it through unscathed, it will only strengthen your resolve.

You can do this. Just keep posting and don't leave yourself alone in your head.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Ohhh, I got it!!! Look at this, Daz. You'll laugh your head off and forget that nasty craving: