Notices

I don't know

Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know

I originally came into AA over a year ago with a drug and alcohol problem. After 90 days, I headed out to try moderated drinking. Over that time, I have fluctuated between drinking moderately, not drinking for a couple days, but I always have to drink on the third day, and often enjoy overdrinking. I have began smoking pot again and dabbling in suboxone. The only thing is that I have not touched is my drug of choice, cocaine. I haven't hit another bottom and really would like to go back to AA, but over the last 6-9 months I just haven't found my ability to keep going to meetings. I feel like I don't quite fit in as a newcomer because I am not totally at bottom but I really want to go back and get help. Any advice or opinions?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't think you have to 'hit bottom' to be welcome in AA. All you need is the desire to stop drinking. Do you desire to stop drinking? If so, you are welcome there.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I agree with least. I wasn't a low bottom and still have a lot of yets. But I go and listen because I know what my future will be if I pick up again.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The hole of your bottom only goes as deep as you want to keep digging. The other day I guy came in he had 17 years sober and had been out drinking for about 6 months. Everyone welcomed him and he's glad he's there. I'm sure it must have been hard - I've heard countless stories of people going in/out - sometimes they do it over a 2-3 year period. I only have 2 months, but gave a lady her 5th white chip since I've been in. She said she'd probably drink again. What can you do? Also met a guy who had been AA bookkeeper for a year and ended up stealing a bunch of money - he still comes to meetings. I asked my sponsor why is he allowed, she told me they can't not let people in no matter what. I never hit some horrible low - didn't lose a job, get a DUI, did have some health problems, but I just was TIRED of living the crap. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In AA we never shoot our wounded. You will be welcomed back with open arms
Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking. That's it. If you want to stop drinking, then you belong.

Try reading this. It's about step one in the 12 and 12 book. It discusses that it's not necessary to hit some absolute bottom to begin to recovery and enjoy a life of sobriety.

http://www.aa.org/twelveandtwelve/en_pdfs/en_step1.pdf
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You do not need a bottom to stop drinking. In fact, not having a horrendous bottom is probably for the best. If you are ready to make that change, then go back into AA. Whatever you decide, I hope that the decision is one that will improve your life.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well done gahope for plugging in.

just to second what everyone else seem to be saying and also to let you know that my rock bottom would be death. a slow and unpleasant one by all accounts from what i hear.

i didn't wait for this bottom before getting with the aa programme.

i didnt feel like i fitted in wherever i was, but in aa someone told me to listen out carefully for the similarities and not to focus on the differences.

drinking and taking drugs cost me more than just the cash i spent on them. if thats you, you belong in aa (assuming you desire to stop drinking).

much love.