Notices

Son refuses to acknowledge he has a problem

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son refuses to acknowledge he has a problem

My son is 23,he has a bad alcohol addiction and refuses to get help. He hides the alcohol in his room under his bed,in his bed anywhere he thinks I won't look. He stays up late until he falls asleep sometimes 5:30 in the morning. I am terrified he will kill himself. He is suffering from depression about stuff he told me happened to him. I got him an appointment with a clinic but he won't go. I can't sleep and have lost lots of weight worrying over him. I still have to get up and go to work. I am so tired I don't know how to help him. I am broken hearted for him.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Heartbrokenma.

It's very hard to get people to do anything about an alcohol problem until they themselves want to change. Unless the motivation comes from them, nothing much is likely to change.

It's really rough of the loved ones...but you'll find support here .

Have you thought about finding support for yourself? something like AlAnon?

D
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. It's important that you take care of yourself. Have you considered AlAnon as a support for you? I pray that your son decides to seek support for himself.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you joined us Heartbrokenma. It always helps to know we're not alone. I hope you'll check out our Friends and Family Forum too. We are with you.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heartbrokenma2: Going through the same thing except with 23 yr old daughter. We finally sat her down and said "rehab or get out". I almost broke my heart to say it but we could not go on with her choices one more second. She chose rehab. She is sober 90 days today!!! FYI: We were serious about the fact that she had to leave our house, just don't say it if you're not, you'll lose credibility.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
Heartbrokenma2: Going through the same thing except with 23 yr old daughter. We finally sat her down and said "rehab or get out". I almost broke my heart to say it but we could not go on with her choices one more second. She chose rehab. She is sober 90 days today!!! FYI: We were serious about the fact that she had to leave our house, just don't say it if you're not, you'll lose credibility.
This is such a difficult play, but often very helpful. If I were to go this way, I might start with therapy as part of the ultimatum, in the sense that there'd be someone in my corner. I wouldn't be so alone in all of this. I'd also require that I come along for the first few sessions.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
This is such a difficult play, but often very helpful. If I were to go this way, I might start with therapy as part of the ultimatum rather than his alcoholism, in the sense that there'd be someone in my corner. I wouldn't be so alone in all of this. I'd also require that I come along for the first few sessions.

Never an easy decision, and not something I'd recommend lightly.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your son needs to come to his own decision that he needs to change, without that there is no convincing him.

As a fellow Irish member, I'm rooting for you!!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I too would suggest giving him the ultimatum of getting help or getting out. He should be out on his own, working and supporting himself, not lying around his parents' house drinking himself into a stupor all the time.